• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not my first FU but certainly my biggest FU

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Changing my oil today. Followed all the procedures regarding flushing water thru as the engine warmed up. Everything went well with the port engine. Starboard engine should be just as easy. Cranked up starboard engine, jumped out and turned the water on. After a few seconds saw no water coming out of the pee hole.....holy crap......turned the water off....jumped in and shut down the starboard engine. I had failed to move the hose to the starboard engine, so I was pumping water into the port engine while it was shut down. STUPID mistake. My only saving grace was I knew there was no engine damage as long as I didnt try to crank the port engine. BUT, now I was thinking I was going to have to take it to the dealer to check things out before I could start the engine. Time to get there, and probably take them a couple of weeks to get to it, and then the cost to have them check things. But....this site to the rescue. I searched the forums for hydrolock and found many threads related to this. Several mentioned pumping water into a non running engine. #1 point....DO NOT crank until you check things out. Next....remove the spark plugs and crank the engine to see if water comes out. If so, continue to crank until no water comes out. So, I removed the plugs, and with fingers crossed, cranked the port engine...not a drop of water...no moisture...nothing. cranked a second time to make sure....nothing.... Reinstalled the plugs, hit the start button...engine cranked immediately and purred like a kitten. Thanks to all those that have shared their expertise on this forum. Saved me from possibly destroying my engine, and saved me from wasted hours and dollars paying a dealer to do a simple 20 minute procedure! For anybody new to this forum, dont underestimate the amount of knowlege available!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, this was your biggest?? This barely rates on my list :rolleyes:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, guess I should say it COULD have been my biggest! :winkingthumbsup"

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm thinking you'd have to run the water for a good bit of time to fill up the water box then get up through the exhaust header and into the engines. Not something you'd want to do, but I highly doubt 15-20 seconds of water at hose rates would do it. Best not to find out the hard way, though! Glad all turned out OK.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Although I didnt know the specifics that you mentioned, after reading all the threads, I had the same opinion.....but the 20 minutes it took to be sure was well worth it!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am very capable of such "adventures" myself, so I have gotten into the habit of using only one key at a time when I am doing maintenance.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the spark plugs out and crank her over.
Check the oil for any water.

Last edited:

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Although I didnt know the specifics that you mentioned, after reading all the threads, I had the same opinion.....but the 20 minutes it took to be sure was well worth it!
Sounds like you handled it just fine. You saved yourself an unnecessary trip and expense at a dealer. Great job

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing I bought for myself was a small hose leader with an on/off valve. Don't need to leave the boat to deal with turning water on/off.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use my Salt Away dispenser just for the shutoff valve. Makes for easy flushing process. Flush port location could be better though.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@captras been there, done that ... on my personal FU achievement scale (1 = sucking up a rope and 10 = boat or human life peril) ... I rated that event a 3.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Leader hose with valve is the way to go to flush without help. Glad it was nothing!