• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not sure what this is...

Shookie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have no idea what this is on the right/starboard side of my boat. The membrane looks like its deteriorated and should be replaced.
IMG_2920.JPG

Duh, had no idea that was the horn….

If your air horn works you shouldn’t need to replace it. It’s shaped like a snail shell to reduce the chances that water will make it all the way to the heart of the unit should any come through the opening.

I just replaced my horn. Amazon for about 20 some $. Took All of 2 minutes to remove and replace. Came with the stainless new grill and a mesh cloth behind it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612-104842_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612-104842_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 13
I just replaced my horn. Amazon for about 20 some $. Took All of 2 minutes to remove and replace. Came with the stainless new grill and a mesh cloth behind it.

Good to know. Does it sound any better?

Good to know. Does it sound any better?
It may be a little bit louder, but it was so simple to change out the old one( it died this year due to water getting thru that mesh cloth screen)

I don't think I am the first one to say this, but the Yamaha horns suck so bad as far as durability goes. I have replaced mine twice after the frogskin tears and they take a crap. And I avoid it with the pressure washer as well. Finding the generic one is the trick too. As the Yamaha branded part is stupid expensive.

My horn works fine.... wonder if there's a way to just buy some waterproof membrane and cover it instead buying a whole new horn assembly...??? Anyone know what that material is?

Frogskin. It's used in powersports to allow air to pass but not water. It may cost as much as a generic horn if you can get a link for the cheap one mentioned.

Like the rest of us, replace the horn when it fails. Otherwise, search for frogskin

I was not able to find small amounts of Frogskin, but it's a pre-filter material.

A company called outerwears makes pre-filter covers for air intakes on ATV/SXS. Polaris puts it on the air intake for clutch cooling etc.

You may not be able to find a small enough amount to make it cost effective. Other than the cheapest frogskin pre-filter I found on Amazon was $10 shipped.

Amazon.com: Outerwears WR12BK 12" x 12" Black Pre-Filter Sheet : Automotive

Back