• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Nozzles alignment a bit off- along with hard steering - especially to the right

Cajunborn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, I have a LS2000 with a steering issue. Before this past weekend, my only issue was hard steering. It's easy to turn at idle, but not so much at speed - especially to the right (I have CJS fins). I am not able to turn the nozzles by hand. After my last outing, I notices that my port side nozzle is a little off when the wheel is straight. I also noticed I had to keep the wheel slightly turned to the left when trying to keep the boat straight on last run. I'm afraid I may need new cables - which I'd like to do myself, but scares me to death when having to deal with sealed mechanisms. Any suggestions?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Cables are probably going bad, if you can not turn the nozzles with one hand out of the water on the trailer. Disconnect the steering cables at the nozzles and see what happens when you turn the nozzles if they are nice and loose you have cabled binding up.
To align the nozzles evenly use the straight edge across the nozzle openings after you replace the cables have the wheel dead center then adjust the ends of the cables to connect with the steering arms of the nozzles.
I will guess you have the early style bolt on stainless fins from years gone by. Many of those are still in use. They look like the parts in the picture.

Attachments

Cajunborn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff. I actually have the newer ones. Bought and installed them about 2 months ago. They’ve made a world of difference - I just dread having to install new cables if necessary. Oh well, at least it’s getting close to the off-season!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok easy enough to check but most likely it is the cables, especially if you have the original ones on that boat however I would say they served you well.

Cajunborn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll certainly check. Here are my fins recently installed...love um107604107605

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hell those are the latest super ultimate fins, those kick butt at all speeds.
That set on your boat you need a 5 point harness if you drive like I drive.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One other thing to look at is the helm behind the steering wheel. those helms do not have any grease fittings to my knowledge, if you loosen the case bolts slightly and get yourself enough room between the cases to use the small red tube that attaches to the spray can of white lithium grease and really soak inside the helm with the grease then retighten the bolts and work the helm side to side you may feel the steering loosen up , its worth giving it a try.

Cajunborn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will do, I have all the stuff to try and force gear oil through the inside of the cables with a manual air pump (as talked about somewhere on this forum). I'll probably try that as well.