• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Nylon Bolts = Bad

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok, I tested the concept of using nylon nuts and bolts as a break away on the Cobra Magnum AK's. I ran the boat for about 4 hours and applied heavy stress to the steering system with sharp turns at high speeds numerous times.

Upon visual inspection when I returned that day, the nuts and bolts looked fine. However, when I removed them today one of them was broken. The port engine bolt was fine. The threads were not even marred. The starboard side had broken the head off the bolt. The bolt head was barely hanging on.

The fin was still in place and lined up exactly with the hole on the mounting plate attached to the nozzle. The threads were not damaged. However, the side force during turns was too much and snapped the head off.

So, if you were considering this mod, don't do it.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Foobar thanks for giving the experiment a try and reporting back. On another note, what were your thoughts on the cobra fins without the fangs. In your opinion, Is there a big difference in “power steering” affect noticeable or not really? No need to get into reverse aspects of it, just wondering the fins performance in forward without fangs.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Foobar thanks for giving the experiment a try and reporting back. On another note, what were your thoughts on the cobra fins without the fangs. In your opinion, Is there a big difference in “power steering” affect noticeable or not really? No need to get into reverse aspects of it, just wondering the fins performance in forward without fangs.

Not really, no. I ended up putting the JBP setup back on the boat the other day anyway. It just works better for me for fishing and maneuvering around the dock.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hmmm. I think I read on here somewhere else where that wasn't a good idea.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't get why you just wouldn't use the bolts that come with the kit. If your worried about it breaking, you will damage to the boat before you do fins.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't get why you just wouldn't use the bolts that come with the kit. If your worried about it breaking, you will damage to the boat before you do fins.
The idea is not to prevent damage to the fins. The idea is to prevent damage to the pumps on the boat in the event of a strike by having a breakaway point. Either way, the nylon bolts would not hold up under normal operating conditions, so it is a moot point now.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Has anyone ever had there pumps damaged by hitting something?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Has anyone ever had there pumps damaged by hitting something?
My factory rudder hangs lower than my steering system. If anything where to hit it would be that, which is the same depth as the the draft of the boat Basically if you hit anything that is going to cause serious damage, your steering system is not going to be a primary failure point, and you have more serious issues at hand.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My factory rudder hangs lower than my steering system. If anything where to hit it would be that, which is the same depth as the the draft of the boat Basically if you hit anything that is going to cause serious damage, your steering system is not going to be a primary failure point, and you have more serious issues at hand.
Yeah I wouldn’t think so... I have fins on my boat. Sometimes when I am backed up to a beach and don’t feel like setting a shore anchor I push the boat in so that the fins are buried in the sand to hold the ass end in place. Haven’t broke anything yet.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Foobar gave something a try even when others advised him that it was not a good idea. He was man enough or scientific enough to update that thread and start another one even though results were not favorable. Some may say he is eating his humble pie but he really was not trying to prove anyone wrong. He was just trying something for himself. He did us all a favor by posting up the videos he has and honest results.

There are some on here that defend products they have purchased, decisions they have made, or exaggerate. @Foobar has proven himself a straight shooter with good intent and integrity. I look foward to more experimentation by him.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Foobar gave something a try even when others advised him that it was not a good idea. He was man enough or scientific enough to update that thread and start another one even though results were not favorable. Some may say he is eating his humble pie but he really was not trying to prove anyone wrong. He was just trying something for himself. He did us all a favor by posting up the videos he has and honest results.

There are some on here that defend products they have purchased, decisions they have made, or exaggerate. @Foobar has proven himself a straight shooter with good intent and integrity. I look foward to more experimentation by him.
Yeah what he said - I’ve been trying to decide the best setup for me and my application outside of the great real world side by side testing of the different systems and configurations that @Foobar has done everything else I’ve seen on this forum is just a bunch of fan boy mouth flapping. I for one am very thankful for the honest and straight forward real world testing and reporting @Foobar has been doing and pretty tired of the fan boys jumpin in and hijacking threads like they are trying to protect insecure egos. Personally I think both systems are great high quality designs solving different aspects of the steering issues and this expermentation helps in determining what setup or combo of setups and options are the best for different applications.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No ego, or bias here. Simply saying he was trying to fix a problem that does not exist. It is no different than someone trying to convert their MR1 into a prop instead of jet, or something ridiculous of that nature. You guys get your panties in a bunch over nothing.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Idea = testing to failure = anaylize = post results for everyones gain... I think @Foobar covered all this.. Well done sir!

Ok so I’ve stepped in a hornets nest without realizing it so I might as well see it through, as I’ve had both sides accusing me of being a troll.

I bought a boat with the fins already installed so I use them (sometimes in lieu of an anchor) and have been happy enough. If the othe brand had already been installed I’m sure that’s what I would still have on my boat.

In the other thread the proverbial solution looking for a problem was proposed. Anyone with a bit of common sense could see it was a bad idea. By anyone I mean me (believe it or not people can have oppinions without being a troll)... I poasted my reasons in the other thread. Which by the way are backed up by the products long track record of success. Oh, and the designer himself.

OP proposed, tested and claimed success in the other thread; In a rather arrogant and condescending tone. Then shortly after started this thread saying it was a bad idea without saying anything in the other thread.:bored:

Being a forum and all I figured it would be a good idea to link to this thread for future readers to see OP himself thought it was a bad idea after all.

And could we get a cock and balls emoji?

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those that know me know if there is something I want to say it will be said... On this thread my above post was simply as it stated. . He had an idea... Heard form both sides.... Decided to test said idea.... Idea failed and he posted so we all can learn from the entire event.. Nothing more.. No hidden meaning... No double standards... No backing one product over another... No judgment. . Simply appluading someone who like to get their hands dirty... Test things and allow us to benefit... Nothing more. Sometimes on a text forum things can be taken out of context or read as though the poster were trying to harsh or judgmental or argumentative... For me none of that was intended..

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are some on here that defend products they have purchased, decisions they have made, or exaggerate.
I think that's pretty funny! and a very accurate observation (if not somewhat obvious).

I do that ^^^^ all the time!

Come to think of it (since you pointed it out) I would just say two pertinent ideas come to mind:
  1. when you are testing stuff, it is impossible to not exaggerate when you find something that works! lol, most of the time things do not work...
  2. I'm looking at my profile (the list of mods) - I tested and re-tested every single item that ended up included in that list! - and I stand by every one of them.
This is a good forum, the jetboaters.net, and there is a lot of good information here.
I value critical and honest reviews. I hate infomercials, and I hate it when I purchase something to find out I've been taken for a fool.

--

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I enjoyed reading about the experiment, which I thought was interesting, and I enjoyed reading about the results. I think it was a reasonable hypothesis he was exploring. Whether there was real need or not is beside the question as far as I'm concerned.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so I’ve stepped in a hornets nest without realizing it so I might as well see it through, as I’ve had both sides accusing me of being a troll.

I bought a boat with the fins already installed so I use them (sometimes in lieu of an anchor) and have been happy enough. If the othe brand had already been installed I’m sure that’s what I would still have on my boat.

In the other thread the proverbial solution looking for a problem was proposed. Anyone with a bit of common sense could see it was a bad idea. By anyone I mean me (believe it or not people can have oppinions without being a troll)... I poasted my reasons in the other thread. Which by the way are backed up by the products long track record of success. Oh, and the designer himself.

OP proposed, tested and claimed success in the other thread; In a rather arrogant and condescending tone. Then shortly after started this thread saying it was a bad idea without saying anything in the other thread.:bored:

Being a forum and all I figured it would be a good idea to link to this thread for future readers to see OP himself thought it was a bad idea after all.

And could we get a cock and balls emoji?
@the MfM Not emoji but here you go
31862083-0945-4F82-B8B2-81D4547ADB01.jpeg