• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

O e engine overheating

jimr5454

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
2004 sx230 Took a boat for test drive before i was going to buy it One engine over heating after about 10 minutes no water comming from side port any ideas on common issues

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First two things that come to mind are there is something caught up in the impeller to keep it from turning and the other is there is something clogging the hole where the water comes out. The fixes are to look for debris in the pump through the clean out port or under the boat where the intake grate is and run weed eater line down the hole to try to unclog it. Having been around this stuff for years and see water not coming out from time to time, I wouldn’t be alarmed just yet. Probably an easy fix. Keep us posted and I bet this group can help you figure it out.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it is a salt water boat that has not been flushed regularly there could be plugged water passages in the engine and or exhaust.
61D354B6-4878-4F7D-A87F-5AC7FC947970.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you buy the boat yet ?

since you have a 24 yr old 2 stroke..... ( edited, sorry I didn't read you were looking at a 2004 )

since it's overheating I would guess you're not getting water through the engine,
water comes in at at the jet nozzle, if you're impellers aren't pushing good water ( they're dinged up, you've got trash in the pump area) it can't go through the inlet screen with enough force to push it through the engine,
as brad commented above, after 24 yr the cooling passages could be clogged up, on the engine or the exhaust,

the holes on the side of the boat or just tell tales, if the line from the engine to side of the boat is clogged it doesn't affect engine cooling at all,

if you just have impeller or screen inlet problems, that's an easy fix,
if you have clogged internals, I'd pass unless you just have time and money to burn,

Last edited:

jimr5454

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thank you for the great replies...even though I didn't say if boat was fresh or salt water which it is a fresh water boat.i still recieved greatly appreciated responses.boat has sat for 2 years. it seems that mud wasps closed the outlet up...hhhmm
Going to go for a second test drive.
Would like to know how do I visually Guage if wear sleeve is in need of replacement? And the speedo as well as the info Guage does not work .is the info Guage not working a problem to fix ?
Doesn't seem to have the same kick as my 99 ls2000 did but it was a smaller boat .

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
again, mud wasps closing the outlet hole has nothing to do with the engine overheating,
the outlet whole is only a visual queue to let you know the engine is processing cooling water,

every year mud dawbbers clog my exit lines, I never have an over heat and don't bother to clear them until I'm out on the water after they've soften up,

most members don't have to replace wear rings, you could measure the impeller gap with a gauge to see if it's excessive,

You can take a gps or reading off your phone,
I believe you have the mr-1 non-ho engines,
I would guess your top speed should be at least 40mph if not 45 and even though it's bigger than your LS it should still throw you back in your seat at acceleration and get on plane in 5 seconds,

I would expect something is going on with the impeller now that you don't feel you have adequate thrust and it's overheating,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

the video above is about how cooling water flows in an MR1 engine,

jimr5454

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
First two things that come to mind are there is something caught up in the impeller to keep it from turning and the other is there is something clogging the hole where the water comes out. The fixes are to look for debris in the pump through the clean out port or under the boat where the intake grate is and run weed eater line down the hole to try to unclog it. Having been around this stuff for years and see water not coming out from time to time, I wouldn’t be alarmed just yet. Probably an easy fix. Keep us posted and I bet this group can help you figure it out.
He stated bees formed a nest as it had sat for 2 yrs

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To measure wear ring /impeller gap you'd have measure with spark plug gapper,
It's unusual for us to see wear rings needing replacement, impellers are usually the problem and they are visually damaged

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't trust anything he said if he's using nesting as an excuse for overheat,
Proceed with caution

jimr5454

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Did you buy the boat yet ?

since you have a 24 yr old 2 stroke..... ( edited, sorry I didn't read you were looking at a 2004 )

since it's overheating I would guess you're not getting water through the engine,
water comes in at at the jet nozzle, if you're impellers aren't pushing good water ( they're dinged up, you've got trash in the pump area) it can't go through the inlet screen with enough force to push it through the engine,
as brad commented above, after 24 yr the cooling passages could be clogged up, on the engine or the exhaust,

the holes on the side of the boat or just tell tales, if the line from the engine to side of the boat is clogged it doesn't affect engine cooling at all,

if you just have impeller or screen inlet problems, that's an easy fix,
if you have clogged internals, I'd pass unless you just have time and money to burn,
Thank you for responding he said water is now flowing and believed after poking around what he believed to be a wasp built or clogged it up.but I noticed you said that water not spitting out wouldnt cause it to overheat ? It is a fresh water boat and supposedly the water is flowing and if it doesn't over heat now I was going to buy it but not sure how to giage if there is still a issue?