• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ocean use for Yamaha AR 230, tips or comments

David Dixon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just discovered this site and registered right away. Wondering if anyone has any tips for use of Yamaha AR 230 in the ocean. I am in process of buying one and it will be based in Cape Coral FL where I plan to use in the big river system there and out into the Gulf. Everything points to this being a great family fun boat with great stability and performance. How is the boat in less than calm waters etc and what should I do maintenance wise after each salt water use.
I'm a Great Lakes boater with many years of family boating so while new to a jet boat not a novice in the water
Thanks for anything you could offer

Cheers

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the Forum @David Dixon ! I have the AR210 and boat in the Gulf of Mexico all the time. As far as going out into the Gulf, you'll learn your limits (as far as waves are concerned). When going through the Pass into the Gulf, always keep your bow up and no need to speed through.

After each use, wash it down good with soap and water and wouldn't hurt to run some Salt Away through the engines during flushing. Spray the engines, clamps, just about everything with some YamaLube/T-9 or something of the like. Also, get into your transom area and spray all of your hose clamps down real good with YamaLube/T-9. Last year I found a couple that had rusted and broken. I replaced all of my clamps with new SS Clamps and sprayed them down.

David Dixon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome to the Forum @David Dixon ! I have the AR210 and boat in the Gulf of Mexico all the time. As far as going out into the Gulf, you'll learn your limits (as far as waves are concerned). When going through the Pass into the Gulf, always keep your bow up and no need to speed through.

After each use, wash it down good with soap and water and wouldn't hurt to run some Salt Away through the engines during flushing. Spray the engines, clamps, just about everything with some YamaLube/T-9 or something of the like. Also, get into your transom area and spray all of your hose clamps down real good with YamaLube/T-9. Last year I found a couple that had rusted and broken. I replaced all of my clamps with new SS Clamps and sprayed them down.
Thank you for that swift response and great tips especially switching to SS clamps, will save on dramas on the water later on
I can't wait to get out there!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@David Dixon Welcome aboard, glad you found us!

These boats can handle the rough ocean/gulf water just fine, you and your passengers will be the limiting factor. One thing about these boats is that they boob on the surface, they don't plow through the waves unless you have trim tabs on your boat. The boobing could cause a rougher ride than other boats of similar size.

There is a group of us that aren't afraid or don't know better, we take our boats to Bimini, Bahamas each year. Here is a link to this year trip https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-2015-july-6th-to-11th.2647/

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got distracted by the words Boob and Boobing. If that happens regularly in Florida then I really gotta move there. Not much boobing going on up here! :winkingthumbsup"

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got distracted by the words Boob and Boobing. If that happens regularly in Florida then I really gotta move there. Not much boobing going on up here! :winkingthumbsup"
Good catch, i'm good at spelling but not always using the right word.

Obviously boob should've been bobb.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good catch, i'm good at spelling but not always using the right word.

Obviously boob should've been bobb.
Well, that isn't nearly as interesting. Nothing to see here, please move along!

David Dixon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey Guys, as a new member I didn't think it appropriate to correct a member of good standing but I do like boobing in the water especially those not yet seen!
As to the bobbing, need to check into the trim tab situation as there is a reef about 4 miles out from Sanibel Island with great fishing that I will be going to often
Looking forward to eventually meeting some of you on the water or maybe watering holes!
Cheers