• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OEM alternator capability for 2 batteries?

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so I installed a 2nd battery with a 1-2-1+2-off switch...

I tender them both when parked.
I'll run both to get around and click into 1 (the new battery) for stereo only, when anchored.

we had a few times now where the check engine goes off (over n' over after being cleared) and almost positive it's a low-voltage read. (I need a reader...anyone have link to cheap one?) or is that not a thing? but, even tho I was in battery 1 slot and the 2nd should be damn near full...I feel like I'm not charging both batteries enough.

my question is, is the OEM alternator sufficient to charge up two batteries?
anyone else running 2 batteries and ever have an issue?

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
How do you charge them? To properly charge them you have to charge them individually unless you're using a multiple bank charger; otherwise, one battery isn't fully charged to 100%. You can use a DMM and should see a minimum of 12.65DCV for them to fully charged (this is for an OE lead acid).
As for the reader, I personally own the CanDOO but it's not inexpensive...I'm sure some other people have feedback for another option. The check engine is doubtful for battery voltage...you should have a battery voltmeter telling you what's going on there.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I charge them individually...

any thoughts on OEM alternator tho?

if anyone can link me to a cheap reader, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ show's how much I know! stator*
and there you have it...upgrading to a nice on-board dual bank now.
that'll help for sure and I know I have them full charge at same time and also great for when I'm on the water overnight.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Are you able to retrieve the code for the check engine light? I believe the procedure is in the owner's manual.

As for voltage and charge capacity, it really depends on how you use the battery. Deep cycle batteries don't charge fast. So if you draw 70Ah using a stereo, amps and lots of speakers for the day then drive back to the dock for say only 1 hr, the battery will not be recharged.