• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OEM GPS Module

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
TL;DR: I may be on track to “home repair” the OEM GPS module. I have not closed the loop, but want to memorialize what I know in the event I don’t complete the mission or someone else wants to pick up from where I am.

I went out a few weeks ago and had a “speed comm“ error on my port tach and the speedometer just swept back and forth like a windshield wiper. Luckily “no wake” and cruise control still worked (so I guess they really do go off engine RPM and not speed). After some thought I was like “damn, this is gonna be another $300 and a project to source the GPS module. I did check the wiring, but did not plug/unplug anything while floating, and didn’t see any issue. It still didn’t work on the return.

I verified the pain of repair by checking threads around the 3D cover @Bruce makes. There were some very good pics in there, but best of all was a thread by @tdonoughue about splicing in the VHF to the GPS line for coordinates that verified the GPS signal is standard NMEA 0183. With that I searched the source of all truth, Amazon, for a NMEA 0183 GPS module/receive, because wouldn’t one that is designed to plug into a VHF radio be a fit to replace the Yamaha OEM one?

I found a few boards, just like what is inside the OEM GPS puck, but had no idea what config I needed. I was able to find a couple of data sheets on the OEM module which confirmed it was NMEA 0183, RS232, GPS (not GNSS), and 4800 baud rate. I was then able to search for similar specs. I found a company frequently the seemed to have a lot of different modules, and had to go to there website to see the full product line up. I then found myself back on Amazon as the manufacture would ship direct from China, which meant shipping costs as much as the module and would take 30 days. (The price isn’t horrible, I’m just cheap, err frugal.) I also swung back to Amazon and think I’ve found an even more accurate replacement. The manufacturer reached out to me since I didn’t complete the order. I’m going to send them all the specs on the OEM module and what I know about how it is wired up from @tdonoughue ’s experience and ask them what the correct module to use is.

Now, I went out of the boat yesterday and saw the GPS cable was “laying down” and going under the helm cover instead of staying up high and going across, so I repositioned it. I also noticed all the nuts fell off of the GPS, so it is just sitting there! (I’m pretty sure I found some of the nuts on the floor of the helm when I bought it years ago and didn’t know where they came from.) Anywho, the GPS and speed worked, so my sense of urgency is reduced, but who knows what will happen next time, I’d like to complete this puzzle, and if we can find a $30 GPS replacement that would be awesome!

In case I do lose my initiative, someone has more initiative than me, I get hit by a bus, or win a billion dollars tomorrow night:
Here is the company that makes the GPS module:
I thought it was the 357 or 280, but now I think it is the 880. The letter codes refer to GPS vs GNSS, and TTL vs RS232, and package size

Attached are two spec sheets for the OEM module.

Attachments

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nicely done. At that price, you could order a couple of options and still be ahead...

JoeR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I just posted looking for the GPS Antenna F2D-U8K1L-00-00. Yamaha home office told me none are in stock, and if they were cost about $3800! They said they’re working with another vendor for a replacement solution, but no ETA. My Connext is completely inop without the antenna. Would love to get this fixed ASAP.

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
TL;DR: I may be on track to “home repair” the OEM GPS module. I have not closed the loop, but want to memorialize what I know in the event I don’t complete the mission or someone else wants to pick up from where I am.

I went out a few weeks ago and had a “speed comm“ error on my port tach and the speedometer just swept back and forth like a windshield wiper. Luckily “no wake” and cruise control still worked (so I guess they really do go off engine RPM and not speed). After some thought I was like “damn, this is gonna be another $300 and a project to source the GPS module. I did check the wiring, but did not plug/unplug anything while floating, and didn’t see any issue. It still didn’t work on the return.

I verified the pain of repair by checking threads around the 3D cover @Bruce makes. There were some very good pics in there, but best of all was a thread by @tdonoughue about splicing in the VHF to the GPS line for coordinates that verified the GPS signal is standard NMEA 0183. With that I searched the source of all truth, Amazon, for a NMEA 0183 GPS module/receive, because wouldn’t one that is designed to plug into a VHF radio be a fit to replace the Yamaha OEM one?

I found a few boards, just like what is inside the OEM GPS puck, but had no idea what config I needed. I was able to find a couple of data sheets on the OEM module which confirmed it was NMEA 0183, RS232, GPS (not GNSS), and 4800 baud rate. I was then able to search for similar specs. I found a company frequently the seemed to have a lot of different modules, and had to go to there website to see the full product line up. I then found myself back on Amazon as the manufacture would ship direct from China, which meant shipping costs as much as the module and would take 30 days. (The price isn’t horrible, I’m just cheap, err frugal.) I also swung back to Amazon and think I’ve found an even more accurate replacement. The manufacturer reached out to me since I didn’t complete the order. I’m going to send them all the specs on the OEM module and what I know about how it is wired up from @tdonoughue ’s experience and ask them what the correct module to use is.

Now, I went out of the boat yesterday and saw the GPS cable was “laying down” and going under the helm cover instead of staying up high and going across, so I repositioned it. I also noticed all the nuts fell off of the GPS, so it is just sitting there! (I’m pretty sure I found some of the nuts on the floor of the helm when I bought it years ago and didn’t know where they came from.) Anywho, the GPS and speed worked, so my sense of urgency is reduced, but who knows what will happen next time, I’d like to complete this puzzle, and if we can find a $30 GPS replacement that would be awesome!

In case I do lose my initiative, someone has more initiative than me, I get hit by a bus, or win a billion dollars tomorrow night:
Here is the company that makes the GPS module:
I thought it was the 357 or 280, but now I think it is the 880. The letter codes refer to GPS vs GNSS, and TTL vs RS232, and package size

Attached are two spec sheets for the OEM module.
Did you got some feedback from them?

JoeR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Never heard anything back from Yamaha. Connext works, minus the lat/long and speed read outs, which results in an “ERROR” message display. Had to also disable (cut the wires) the audible warning since there is no way to silence it.

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have exactly the same problems on my 2018 212x. The dealer had to cut the audible warning too. The boat still on a waranty on my side. I waiting the part since 2 years. I was informed by my vendor by a sad a new. The antenna provider will not produce the antenna anymore. Yamaha have absolutely no solution.

I’ts very disappointing to see a situation like that. They sold a boat for a lot of money but they don’t want to help us . I can’t imagine it has bo solution. Yamaha have certainly engineers to find a solution or a antenna replacement. No they prefer to said trow it to garbage and bought a new 100 000$ ones 😔.

I was a serious fan of Yamaha but they disappointed me.

î’m sure we will find a solution for this problem but on our side without the help of them😩

JoeR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Disappointing indeed. Hard to believe there is no replacement part available. No more jet boats for me. I’m looking to trade up to something with outboards, but this makes me question Yamaha outboards because of the customer service.

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Disappointing indeed. Hard to believe there is no replacement part available. No more jet boats for me. I’m looking to trade up to something with outboards, but this makes me question Yamaha outboards because of the customer service.
Depend of electronics. If you check boat, they change the electronics components each years compare to the compétition. But tey do not support these electronics components. But if it’s mechanical. They are strong