• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ohio River Jet Boating

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I plan on buying a Yamaha 21ft boat soon. I live in Southern, Ohio (near Huntington,Wv and Ashland,Ky). Being so close to the Ohio River I plan on doing 90% of my boating there.

Could anyone give me any input on how these boats preform on the River. Will I suck up a bunch of debri? I’ll probably go I/O if I determine jets aren’t good on the murky Ohio. Would love to go the jet route though!

I grew up downstream from you 15 or 20 miles. We had lots of outboards but no jets then. There are going to be times when you will have trouble not sucking up something every 30 minutes but I would expect that to only be during high water in the spring. If I was still there boating today, I would not hesitate to buy a jet. My uncle has two jet skis there now and does not complain.

I grew up downstream from you 15 or 20 miles. We had lots of outboards but no jets then. There are going to be times when you will have trouble not sucking up something every 30 minutes but I would expect that to only be during high water in the spring. If I was still there boating today, I would not hesitate to buy a jet. My uncle has two jet skis there now and does not complain.
Good point about the jet ski’s. I see several on the river. I’d probably avoid the river in the early spring, too many trees and such floating down river.

I boat 100% on a river and I only suck something up once in a while, it's not enough for me to regret having a jetboat. I've hit enough unseen objects that make me glad I do have a jetboat.

Last edited:
I biat 100% on a river and I only suck something up once in a while, it's not enough for me to regret having a jetboat. I've hit enough unseen objects that make me glad I do have a jetboat.
Good to hear! I live minutes from the river, so it just makes it very convenient. Also, several interesting marina’s and docks to stop at I’m the area.

Boating in the Mighty Ohio will be no issue! Even during high water if you stay away from the shore, you'll be fine! Jet skis always have a blast from catching air.

I'm in the Ohio a few times a year. Usually in the Louisville, KY area. A few times a year up near Westport (about 30mi upstream of Louisville).

The water near downtown is murky and polluted. No swimming there. Water up near Westport is clean and clear. Probably 6-10ft visibility on some days. Rains will stir up the mud, but it's otherwise clean. Current is around 4-5mph depending on where you are in the channel. Usually not a big deal. I've only ever sucked up debris twice. Both times was after being anchored with the stern pointed "upstream" at a restaurant dock. The rest of the time has been no different than lake boating.

Traffic is a thing to worry about. Avoid the barges. Avoid the crowds and busy weekends (at least for our little 190). Otherwise, enjoy the water closest to you!

I live in Portsmouth which is about 45 minutes (drive) west of Ashland. My fiancés seadoo spark is constantly sucking up walnuts and rocks. I think we have to pull it out twice a year usually but I feel it’s mostly attributed to her brother riding in shallow water.

I’ve considered a jet boat regardless. Any updates from other Ohio River jet boaters? Also any warning against wet slips, they are our only option here?

I run our jetboat in the Ohio a few times per year, never had any issues. We run from West Portsmouth all the way to the Manchester islands and back. No problems with debris.

My brother in law has had more issues with the hydraulics on his outdrive not allowing him to trim down than I’ve ever had with the pumps.

I wish the state would have done more with the marina out by the old golf course, a restaurant there or fuel would be awesome. (As it was before)

I live in Portsmouth which is about 45 minutes (drive) west of Ashland. My fiancés seadoo spark is constantly sucking up walnuts and rocks. I think we have to pull it out twice a year usually but I feel it’s mostly attributed to her brother riding in shallow water.

I’ve considered a jet boat regardless. Any updates from other Ohio River jet boaters? Also any warning against wet slips, they are our only option here?
Just pull it and clean it. The river is dirty and it will get your boat looking nasty if you slip for extended time periods. Jet is great for the Ohio around Portsmouth. Check out river days from the water, it’s great.

I live in Cincinnati and boat in the Ohio several times a year. I avoid it when the water is high since that is usually when we have a lot of debris, but if it is close to pool I have never had a problem. In 4 seasons I have only sucked up one small stick and the cleanout port took care of that in a couple of minutes.

I live in Louisville Ky right next to the boat club, I have 21ft AR 210 I keep in my dock and boat the Ohio river every weekend and sometimes during the week. Iv had no issues this past year only sucked something up twice both times were when I was docked at a restaurant with the stern pointed up stream so learned if I’m docked keep stern pointed away from the current, clean out ports took care of it. I came from a 26 foot crownline cabin cruiser that was getting old and expensive to maintain but was a great river boat. Was going to get a newer crownline but they cost a arm and leg vs the value of a Yamaha and never really used the cabin portion of my boat like I thought I would and like the open bow of the Yamaha. I would suggest staying out of the Ohio in the jet boat during high pool which usually is early spring, the river has so much debris it’s hard not to hit something and scratch the boat Iv ran my boat during high pool just 2 miles from my dock to party cove at max 15mph and still hit a floating log lol just don’t do it. I only keep my boat on my dock 2 weeks max and pull it out clean it and store in my garage for a week before putting it back in my dock, I have learned more than 2 weeks in a wet dock on the Ohio and it’s supper hard to clean back up. Hope this helps I primarily boat 90% of time on the Ohio with a few trips to lakes and a florida trip here and there, the river is definitely harsh on these Yamahas vs other boats Iv had that were more of river boats but for the value they still do an excellent job. Hope this helps

Agreed with all of the above. On the Ohio in Louisville the majority of the time. You’re going to suck something up for sure. Once I learned how to spit debris out by throwing her in reverse or opening up the gates and turning the engines off to flush it out, it helped a lot. Whenever I stop for whatever reason, I never idol. I just turn the engines off so I don’t suck stuff up. As long as you’re moving, you’re pushing stuff away. (You can still suck up something though.)

if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t hesitate getting another jet.

Ha! I see now this original post was made two years ago. Sorry! I suspect you have it all figured out by now.

Back