• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ohio to Tampa for 1 wk, would you do it?

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little background: My in-laws live in Clearwater currently and have had a condo in Indian Shores for the past 10 years so, needless to say, we frequent that area of Florida a lot, and truly enjoy it. I have been on boats similar in size to mine in the ICW between Indian Shores and Anclote, rented a pontoon out of Clearwater beach to Anclote, and ridden with my in-laws who belong to a boat club in Tarpon Springs out to Anclote. All told, about a dozen times out in those areas. All good times, enjoyed the sights but have fantasized about being able to explore more and in my own vessel.

Cue COVID and the year 2020, there's no way my wife will fly there even in September so we're planning to drive for a week long stay (we live in Columbus, OH). Have made this trip 3 times already, so no concerns about the trip in general or towing (rig is a 2017 F250). I see it as an opportunity to bring the ole AR240 along for the ride. We will stop both ways since we have a 7yr old, so the real question is: would you do it?

For the Tampa area guys:
1) Is there enough for me to safely explore assuming 5 days on the water?
2) What would my options for storage be? Wetslip? Rack storage? Dip & pull each day? And would any of these be cost prohibitive?
3) What else am I missing?

I'm planning on the 2021 Bimini run, so also see this as an opportunity to experience some open-ish waters and plan to add a chartplotter, VHF radio & potentially trim tabs before heading south.

-Matt

Hell yeah, I would! If you're going to drive down, why not. Nothing like having your own boat to do whatever. There are lots of places/beaches/sandbars to visit. I could recommend restaurants but not sure if you're comfortable doing that. I would think you'd want to visit different areas so I would drop in each day.

I would make sure your trailer's ready for the haul with a spare just in case. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Gas is pretty cheap here so it shouldn't be a big concern. Don't forget your GPS. :winkingthumbsup"

Let me know if you need anything...

A little background: My in-laws live in Clearwater currently and have had a condo in Indian Shores for the past 10 years so, needless to say, we frequent that area of Florida a lot, and truly enjoy it. I have been on boats similar in size to mine in the ICW between Indian Shores and Anclote, rented a pontoon out of Clearwater beach to Anclote, and ridden with my in-laws who belong to a boat club in Tarpon Springs out to Anclote. All told, about a dozen times out in those areas. All good times, enjoyed the sights but have fantasized about being able to explore more and in my own vessel.

Cue COVID and the year 2020, there's no way my wife will fly there even in September so we're planning to drive for a week long stay (we live in Columbus, OH). Have made this trip 3 times already, so no concerns about the trip in general or towing (rig is a 2017 F250). I see it as an opportunity to bring the ole AR240 along for the ride. We will stop both ways since we have a 7yr old, so the real question is: would you do it?

For the Tampa area guys:
1) Is there enough for me to safely explore assuming 5 days on the water?
2) What would my options for storage be? Wetslip? Rack storage? Dip & pull each day? And would any of these be cost prohibitive?
3) What else am I missing?

I'm planning on the 2021 Bimini run, so also see this as an opportunity to experience some open-ish waters and plan to add a chartplotter, VHF radio & potentially trim tabs before heading south.

-Matt
Contact Stamas boats in Tarpon Springs. They have a storage aera with a boat launch and wash down point. Not sure how much they will charge for a week but id guess if you yell them you just need to use it a few times and peel them a $50 or something they might let you. There are 3 or jet boats their including mine.

We just made an impromptu 10 day trip from Chicago to Pensacola/Destin. Brought the boat, I’d absolutely do it in a heartbeat! The only issue will be when it’s time to go home, you won’t want to. I don’t know how Ohio is, but coming back to IL last week felt like going to the USSR. We enjoyed dinners out (can’t here), shopping without a mask on (can’t here). Hell I almost got a haircut (can’t here). When you long for the days of shopping in a retail store just go where it’s still allowed!

We just made an impromptu 10 day trip from Chicago to Pensacola/Destin. Brought the boat, I’d absolutely do it in a heartbeat! The only issue will be when it’s time to go home, you won’t want to. I don’t know how Ohio is, but coming back to IL last week felt like going to the USSR. We enjoyed dinners out (can’t here), shopping without a mask on (can’t here). Hell I almost got a haircut (can’t here). When you long for the days of shopping in a retail store just go where it’s still allowed!
Well said comrade @Dixie Highway

sand bars, islands, beaches, dolphins and cute tiny life guards lol
0C565936-0F02-42E3-9FB5-0AAA307A2A59.jpeg

sand bars, islands, beaches, dolphins and cute tiny life guards lol
View attachment 119653
Gators is there too! We spent a lot of time there with the boys when they were little. Around the corner is Dockside Daves. One of the best grouper sandwiches on the water (at least back then).

Gators is there too! We spent a lot of time there with the boys when they were little. Around the corner is Dockside Daves. One of the best grouper sandwiches on the water (at least back then).
The grouper sandwhich is still killer!!

The grouper sandwhich is still killer!!
The Pub, a few miles north of John's Pass, has some excellent food as well. Lots of good places to eat on the ICW. I miss those restaurants and those times...

Sil is in tampa and bil is panellis county sheriff. We stopped by them after bimini and i really would not hesitate to haul the boat. Just take your time and stop when you feel like it. Relax and don't figure on a certain time. I went with 3 kids under 10 and had bimini bracket issues but only don't do it more often due to time constraints. (Construction is essential!)

I’m just outside Columbus, and if I’m gonna drive my happy ass all the way down to Florida, you can bet your sweet ass I’m dragging my boat with me! ?? It sounds like you’ve got a great tow vehicle, just make sure your trailer bearings are greased up, and hit the road. Just educate yourself on saltwater maintenance. That would be my biggest concern, as I know very little about that.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm feeling much better about pulling this thing off. Will check with Stamas Boats for storage, thanks @Drift Away

If the wife called and said let's take the boat to Florida tomorrow we would be pulling out of the driveway as soon as possible. Check air pressures, wheel bearings, lights and load the toolbox in the truck and we would be gone.

Think through the trailer issue. Not just for the drive, but do you want to dip it in saltwater? Are there alternatives to dunking It? If you have to launch with trailer, can you wash it out with fresh water and some protectant? Obviously, people use trailers in saltwater all the time. But us Midwestern Lakers are used to trailers lasting many years. Much shorter life in salt: not just frame but wiring, brakes, springs, etc.

Any salties want to chime in on this?

Think through the trailer issue. Not just for the drive, but do you want to dip it in saltwater? Are there alternatives to dunking It? If you have to launch with trailer, can you wash it out with fresh water and some protectant? Obviously, people use trailers in saltwater all the time. But us Midwestern Lakers are used to trailers lasting many years. Much shorter life in salt: not just frame but wiring, brakes, springs, etc.

Typically where you launch you can rinse. If there isn't you can do it at home. I really doubt that dipping it in salt 10 times in a row will do any damage. Corrosion take time.

With that said, I would make sure your bearing buddies are good, filled and covered.

@msjones144 just adding a little to what @GTBRMC wrote: I wouldn't worry about putting your boat and trailer in the salt water as long as you are cleaning out your boat with Salt Away as well as spraying the engines down with XPS (I am not affiliated with those brands that's what the dealership told me I should do). I have had my boat for over a year and a half, put it in salt water each time (over 75 times) and as long as I am washing the trailer down you will be fine for a week. Enjoy your trip and make the most out of it with your family.

... and as long as I am washing the trailer down you will be fine for a week.
Wait! You're washing the trailer for him? Will you do mine? I might come down for a week then. ?

If you dunk it every weekend like i do, yes it will start eatting its self. But a few times in a week, and spray if off after should not be an issue.

Back