• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil Change question

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
So, did my first oil change on my boat today. Pumped out old oil easily as anything. Able to measure that I got 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 quarts out of each engine. Know to put back what came out.

But, the oil I have came in a black gallon container, with no "see through strip" or anything that lets you see how much oil is out of the gallon container.

So, I had to eyeball it and go by feel to get close to what I thought was the right amount going into the engines.

Then to measure it by the dip stick, the oil is so clean that it is hard to tell where it is hitting the dip stick. I think I can tell, but not 100% sure.

So, what or how do you guys measure the amount you are putting in, when you are pouring from a gallon container? I think next time I will just get quart containers...

I am going to head back to the lake tomorrow and measure again. Hopefully giving it the night to settle, will make it easier to measure.

The 1800 engines are not as critical as the mr1 engines if you overfill it a little. I always use a quart container like you said, plus I check it on the water after changing it, I bring extra oil to top it off since I usually put in a slightly less amount than I removed, pull off the oil fill cap and let it settle when you check it the first time the engine should be level to get a good reading.

I do the same thing. I've found that it's usually 6-7 quarts of oil between the two engines.

You're also likely OK to put the same amount in that you got out. Run the engines and then check them on the water for best accuracy. you'll likely need to add just a bit more because the new filters will need to be filled with oil.

Bob has a Chappy so those quantities may not be correct but I would agree put in a little less than you think and just check it next time your on the water after you run it for a while to top if off,

oops my bad didn't see that, those are easy to change I wondered why he thought removing the oil was easy haaa

@BobJohnson. You never get all the oil out when it's sucked out so starting your engine will fill the oil filter and also mix some of the old oil that remained in the oil pan with the new oil making it easier to see on the dip stick. Then you can fine tune your oil level.

@BobJohnson - to check really clean oil levels (with ageing eye sight especially) I was taught to use a piece of paper towel. Lay the dipstick carefully onto the paper and you'll see better where the level is.

Also, not sure on the Chap dipsticks, but most dipsticks have holes in them at strategic places (e.g. top and bottom of the 'full' level), or deep ridges. It is easier to see if those holes or ridges are full of oil versus not. So you may not be able to see an exact level, but you can see that the fluid is somewhere above the lower 'full' and upper 'full'.

yeah, no the Chaparral stick has no holes, groves or ridges. just a flat piece with a couple bends to indicate the OK range.

After running it for a little while Sunday, the oil did darken up a tad. Made it a little easier to see and dial in.

Well, that is inconvenient.

I would be very tempted to take a small drill bit and put a very small hole at the top and bottom of the range... Just be sure you clean up all of the shavings before using the dipstick again.

Back