• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Change

jaburt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat is due its first oil change.
What type oil are y'all running and has anyone been able to cross over to non Yamaha filters?
My closest dealer is over 100 miles away so just picking up Yamaha parts is a pain other than mail order.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just FYI...I have been told that if you do not use Yamaha oil and filters and you have engine issues, they will not honor the warranty. They will check the oil to make sure it is the correct oil. Apparently Yamaha oil is mineral oil based and NMMA certified. Even top quality oils like Mobil 1 are not NMMA certified. Just relating what I have been told and read several places!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you get ANY hassle about using aftermarket parts during the warranty period (boat , car , or anything else) all you need to do is ask the dealer if they are familiar with the Magnus / Moss act of 1975? If they are , then your hassle will soon end ! It is federal law.Basically it says that the ONLY way a manufacture can force you to use OEM parts is if they provide them free of charge. Most dealers are not willing to do that. You will find that several aftermarket filter manufactures products are equal to or superior to OEM. WIX is my personal preference.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Very good and valid point.....and as to the oil....as long as it is OEM standards AND NMMA certified, you are probably good....but most automotive oils are not NMMA certified. The Yamaha oil is not much more than a good quality synthetic, so I am not taking a chance :)

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just FYI...I have been told that if you do not use Yamaha oil and filters and you have engine issues, they will not honor the warranty. They will check the oil to make sure it is the correct oil. Apparently Yamaha oil is mineral oil based and NMMA certified. Even top quality oils like Mobil 1 are not NMMA certified. Just relating what I have been told and read several places!
Exactly....that is my point.....Most automotive oils are NOT mineral based, and if you use them instead of an approved Yamaha oil, you risk your engine warranty being voided. To me, a little extra cost for the approved oil is a small price to pay if my engine(s) crater on me

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is due its first oil change.
What type oil are y'all running and has anyone been able to cross over to non Yamaha filters?
My closest dealer is over 100 miles away so just picking up Yamaha parts is a pain other than mail order.
Don't go by what you hear on forums, read your manual. The oil spec is wide ranging and folks have used varying brands within the spec...dino, synthetic, etc. for years and years and years. Nothing will start a war like oil. Also a manufacturer can't dictate yamaha branded filter unless they provide it to you for free....see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

With all of that being said, I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and K&N Oil filters. Used Castrol dino the first 2 years. I order plugs and oil filters off of Amazon as they are usually the cheapest and have free shipping...oil usually from Wally World.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I probably would not use synthetic for the first oil change. There is some good evidence that synthetic oil and/or some additives may interfere with the break in process.
After that, so many good choices! Many stick with the Yamaha brand, switch to Amsoil, and so on.

jaburt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with Yamaha, just called and had them ship it to me. $100 for oil and filters not bad being that I will only change it once a year.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Amsoil Marine 10-40 and Yamaha filters for now. Used Amsoil on my Kawasaki 300x for years without issue and although Yamalube is a decent oil, there is better out there. I like getting the best stuff I can, so I pay about $6.50-7.00 a quart but I like knowing it's got the good stuff in there. In the future I may switch to K&N filters as I've had great luck with them on my other watercraft as well. And the others are right, as long as you can show proof of purchase for the products and some basic record keeping, they will not have grounds to deny warranty claims based upon poor maintenance or lack of using OEM products. No different than an automotive manufacturer's warranty system.
Side note: Why oh why don't they place the filters in a vertical (threads-up) position for ease of service? It would be so much cleaner and faster. I'm sure the service departments would also clap hands on that minor modification as well. Or at least like my Kawi, where the filter is at an angle but underneath is a metal lip that catches the errant oil prior to it pouring down the side and finding bottom of the compartment. Sigh.

MIKEP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Napa synthetic 10W30 and Napa filter...never had an issue with the waverunner or boat....and it's cheap

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm going to cruise on over to the dealership or West Marine and pick up a Yamalube oil and filter kit for my engine. No desire to set up an argument with Yamaha if I have an oil related failure however unlikely.