• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil choice

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
10w40 full synthetic or a mix, does it matter? Getting ready to change oil out. Was dine before purchased boat last year so first time I've had to do it.

Will be warming motors to get most out as possible.

Preference on filter, can I pick one up from local auto store or need to get one shipped from a marine place, is their quality difference?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, I see what you are doing here, @Wisefam22!! Lol.
B82BD3CB-C33B-4075-9A64-1F77396F7C14.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use mobil one full synthetic oil and K/N filters (the nut just makes it so easy to get off) and for the few dollars more for premium products once a year I can mentally justify it,

that said if you change your oil every year I really don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose,

If you don't know when the spark plugs were changed last you may want to consider that, knowing the #3 plug can get frozen, I find it's cheap insurance to change them every other year,

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But in all seriousness, this is what I do (below).
I have never heard a bad thing about amsoil if you worry about oil analysis, TBN drop, etc that is the safe way to go. IMO.

I would use the Yamalube for the first change, my logic being - it is conventional oil and a safe choice for break-in period for these engines.

After that, I personally stick with Amsoil, their marine oil and their (motorcycle) filters are probably just about the best you can get, I do not think you can possibly go wrong there.
Yamaha "OEM" does not really mean OEM, and they just changed their filters without telling anyone few years back, same part number COMPLETELY different filter, used to be Made in Japan and packed with fleece-like material similar to what Merc-Benz was using, now it is paper media Made in Thailand looking just like FRAM filters on the inside - it's a POS at premium price. Anyone want to tell me this is the best because it is OEM, lol???

Amsoil filters that I get are feel like a brick in your hand, their oil components seem to have little batch to batch variation. It perhaps a bit more expensive, but who cares if you do this once or twice a year!

That said, most all branded engine oils within specs will be more than adequate these days, as long as you actually change it.

--

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Changed my plugs last year because he said he did them every other year.. he didnt have service receipt from that so I did it for my safety.

Thanks.

@swatski I almost aent you PM about it, but thought posting would be better

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski Not being home do you know size filter needed?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we used to change oil on boat growing up 36ft uniflite we would punch hole in bottom of filter to get all the oil out after we used extractor.

Has anyone done this, I honestly havent paid enough attention to see if I could even get punch down there to do it

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we used to change oil on boat growing up 36ft uniflite we would punch hole in bottom of filter to get all the oil out after we used extractor.

Has anyone done this, I honestly havent paid enough attention to see if I could even get punch down there to do it
I like the idea, would be less mess to take care of. That would be hard with the amsoil filters I use, would take some effort the way those are built, but the OEM you puncture with a pen I think.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Previous owner used 10-w40 Castrol high Mileage Synthetic Blend. no reason to switch, and it's an old engine, so far so good.