• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil consumption?

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've done three oil changes and last one I only got two and a half quarts out. I started with the boat level tilted forward tilted backwards. Did the normal start-up let it get it warm before I suck the oil out . Do these engines normally burn oil if you're high in the RPM's a lot ?this was my 100 hour oil change .

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How long since the previous oil change? Are you thinking you should have been able to get another quart out?

I'm not sure how the 1.8 oil reservoir is set up but on my MR-1 I have to get my vacuum tube in just the right spot where it drops down another couple of inches. I would probably refill, keep tabs on the oil level and look for smoke on hard excellerations and oil residue on the back of your boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've done three oil changes and last one I only got two and a half quarts out. I started with the boat level tilted forward tilted backwards. Did the normal start-up let it get it warm before I suck the oil out . Do these engines normally burn oil if you're high in the RPM's a lot ?this was my 100 hour oil change .
I don't think those engines burn much oil.
Getting it all out can be tricky. I'm still figuring it out myself. I tend to get most of the oil out with the bow leveled down/to port side - slightly. I also notice the hose for my oil extractor needs to go down all the way. I check that but moving it up and down, and pushing it down fairly hard - when most of oil is gone and sucking up the residual. Then I stop and come back in a few minutes when some leftover has drained down the pan.

When checking the level, I actually use a long (24") level to make sure the deck is leveled. Still, get slightly different results, every time, lol. But I think it is due to extraction, not burn, issues.

--

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you checked the oil after the most recent change did you take note to the color of the oil? Was it clear or was it dark and cloudy? That may be an indication of how much of the old oil remained after the change the new oil and old will eventually mix together the oil after the change should be fairly clear and light in color.