• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Cooler Disater Leak

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was out today doing shake down before Bimini on 25th and Bamm.

Oil leaks through bolts.
Low oil pressure went off and shut it down.

Took all night to clean engine and rear of clean out.

Looking for an oil cooler if you got one.

Will post picture of tow of shame later.

Yakes!!!! did the bolt come out or break off, cant tell from the vid with so much oil flow. At lease you know the alarm works.

Sorry to see that. I just ordered a new oil cooler for stbd side engine. Says delivery takes 2 weeks to get to me so will see. Im in MS and Yamaha parts plaza is in OR. Mine just starting to leak some and third bolt missing. Hate to see that video and fearfull to take mine out till I fix it as mine is close to going out I think.

The problem with Yamaha Sports Plaza, is they order from Yamaha and once they get it, they ship to you. I usually get the price at yamaha sports plaza and have my local deal price match it and get it a week sooner.

I might try that next time as I've noticed the delay before with orders from them. My "local " dealer is a couple hours away unfortunately.

Sorry to see that. I just ordered a new oil cooler for stbd side engine. Says delivery takes 2 weeks to get to me so will see. Im in MS and Yamaha parts plaza is in OR. Mine just starting to leak some and third bolt missing. Hate to see that video and fearfull to take mine out till I fix it as mine is close to going out I think.
I had the first gen oil coolers. I ended up buying the updated bolt and drilling/tapping the third hole down. Unfortunately I over torqued one of the bolts and felt it slip. If you don't have a use for your old one I will throw you a couple bucks for it.

Was out today doing shake down before Bimini on 25th and Bamm.

Oil leaks through bolts.
Low oil pressure went off and shut it down.

Took all night to clean engine and rear of clean out.

Looking for an oil cooler if you got one.

Will post picture of tow of shame later.
From the angle of the flow it could possibly be coming from the filter. May want to give that a look.

@14SX190 Can you direct us to the leak location page number in your service manual diagram?

@14SX190 Can you direct us to the leak location page number in your service manual diagram?

#7 stripped out causing leak
#8 Already has helicoil since last year.

Don't want to chance it so I got a new cooler from Partzilla. YSP had similar price but shipping part from Yamaha to them and then to me would take to long. Partzilla is in Georgia and so is Yamaha so shipping turn around to Florida hopefully is quicker.

Probably going to get it fixed and resell it or sell it as is. I just didn't want lighting to strike twice

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 12.36.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 12.36.03 PM.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I had the first gen oil coolers. I ended up buying the updated bolt and drilling/tapping the third hole down. Unfortunately I over torqued one of the bolts and felt it slip. If you don't have a use for your old one I will throw you a couple bucks for it.

I'm listening.....
?

Pic of oil cooler with missing bolt

Attachments

• 1623604054236104795353106329294.jpg
    1623604054236104795353106329294.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
Did you fix yours?
The one where I hurt the thread I tapped to the next size up but had to open the cover hole just slightly. IIRC the factory hole is 6mm X 1.00 and I bumped it to 7mm X 1.00. It helped but I don't think it made full depth threads so I was cautious when tightening and used lock tite.

I was going to do the same thing and keep it ready on the shelf just in case there is a next time. If I change my mind I'll reach out.

I had a Honda accord years ago that stripped out an exhaust bolt and needed to redo the threads for it. I have not had consistent results with helical approach. But bought the time sert kit for the size nd depth of threads that I needed and with a hand held cordless drill the first time did a perfect job that lasted the next 6 years my kid drove that car and was still working when the car was eventually sold. Anyone with similar needs might want to check it out. ++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs,

Or like @jmargo mentions drill and tape one size up would work.

If you look for them they sell the tap and matching drill bit as a set online - Amazon included

Last edited:
@14SX190 When the torque values get around 5 inch-pounds or 6mm, I quite using torque wrench. The aluminum is so soft. On MR-1s bolts holding down valve cover seat in camshaft caps. Do not want to mess those up. I started using nut driver to fasten those down, as well as others. It is too easy to be to tight,

I understand this is heartbreaking, but in the grandsheme of things you should be happy. Image getting that warning in the middle of the Gulf Stream and under bad weather.

I understand this is heartbreaking, but in the grandsheme of things you should be happy. Image getting that warning in the middle of the Gulf Stream and under bad weather.

Test Test Test has been my motto since bringing this project from the dead a year ago for this trip.
Boat has be flawless for the last 40+ hours since replacing head and glad problem happened before trip for sure.
Fingers crossed I'll get one or two test runs before 25th with new oil cooler.

Well my fate has been decided and after all the work on this boat to be ready for Bimini is lost on a oil cooler leak

Exhausted all resources to get old one fixed or new one in time for Bimini trip and all have failed. Partzilla did the usual said one thing and got email few days later out of stock

I picked up a 1st gen cooler and wasn't the same. Have access to SC OC but also different single fitting.

If anyone has the right one and lives in Miami pm me. Otherwise once part gets here in July anyone interested or know of crossing group.

Back