• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Leak into Spark Plug Tubes

FreshSalt09

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Hey guys. My 2017 250hp 195 Open ID was loosing power a few weeks ago. The boat is new to me so I decided to change the spark plugs as I was unsure if they had ever been changed in the 75 hours on the motor. When I pulled the coil packs and the plugs I ended up finding oil in the tubes. It was maybe a 1/4" up the coil pack and not near the connection. Talking with my buddy, he said I've got a cylinder head gasket leak but looking through the service manual, appears its going to be the spark plug tubes.

Looking at the shop manual, it seems pretty easy to remove the cylinder head cover, replace the cylinder head gasket and the spark plug tubes. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it as easy as it seems? Where would be the best place to source the cylinder head gasket and spark plug tubes? I looked on BRP's parts site but they don't have my engine listed. 440000AFB

Thanks ahead of time!
-FS

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You should not have to mess with the head gasket, but I’m pretty sure you just have the “lingo” wrong. The valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals should fix this leak. Not a difficult process as far as engine DIY’s go. You should not be losing power from this unless it is also causing a misfire.
It is also possible that the previous owner fogged the cylinders as part of the winterization process, which can leave light-colored oil in the tubes (depending on how it was performed). As a side note, fogging is not recommended for these engines.

FreshSalt09

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
You should not have to mess with the head gasket, but I’m pretty sure you just have the “lingo” wrong. The valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals should fix this leak. Not a difficult process as far as engine DIY’s go. You should not be losing power from this unless it is also causing a misfire.
It is also possible that the previous owner fogged the cylinders as part of the winterization process, which can leave light-colored oil in the tubes (depending on how it was performed). As a side note, fogging is not recommended for these engines.
I think I figured out it was bad gas. It was premium but it was purchased at a station I was unfamiliar with.

Regarding replacing the spark plug tube seals & "Valve Cover Gasket": are 440000AFA parts interchangeable with 440000AFB engines? Not sure what the A vs. B designations mean but seem that AFA parts are easy to source on Crowley Marine.

Last edited:

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not sure on the compatibility. Don’t know what the difference could be.