• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil leak

Etw223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I bought a Yamaha sx230 last year. I had it in my barn all winter pulled it out today to get it going for the year and noticed oil in the bilge. I reached under the engine and felt oil any thought? Also what is the proper amount of oil to have in a cold/warm engine? Mine may be over filled thanks.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On a cold engine (most oil drained down into the oil pan) your dipstick level should be between the hash marks.
If your engine oil is over filled your first issue will be "blow-by" causing oil soaked air filters = not good.
For your source I'd start at the oil filters. Mine rusted before over the winter and caused a slight sheen on the driveway as it drained out.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A slight oil seep, over time is not uncommon on the MR-1 engines. make sure both oil filters are firmly hand tight. Dry under the filters and bottom of the engines. I converted from 100% 10w30 synthetic oil to a 10w40 blend which has all but eliminated oil seepage. It seems the 100% synthetic oil doesn't properly wet the gaskets.

With regard to oil level I look for oil at the very bottom of the oil stick on a stone cold motor when the boat is sitting level. On a warmed up motor the level should be at or very close to the full mark but not over.