• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil leaking question?

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just purchased a chaparral with twin 250 rotary engines and one developed an oil leak whereby it is losing a lot of oil within a minute. Checked all around the top of the engine and don’t see anything leaking. Only leaks when running. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Also how much oil does it hold? Your reply’s are appreciated.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You engine hold about 3.2 quarts. How many hours on your engines. Did you do the required supercharger maintenance? Search these forums. Tons of stuff here to help.

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. To answer you question, I just purchased the boat and supposedly it has 650 hours on it. Engines according to a tech I had look at the boat since one of the engines went into limp mode because of low oil said the last service performed was 70 hrs ago and said it needed service . Whatever started leaking the oil seems to be quite a bit. I felt around the oil filter with my hand but it doesn’t seem to be that. What is your guess. Thanks!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm by no means an expert on these engines. I do read a lot and love figuring things out. "A well defined problem is already half solved". You need to figure out where the leak is coming from; front or the back of the engine? Top or bottom? It could be as simple as a gasket to bolts not being tight to...??? Try to figure out as much as you can. Search and read.

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Will do and when I find the answer I’ll post the result. Thanks!

Bill425

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just purchased a chaparral with twin 250 rotary engines and one developed an oil leak whereby it is losing a lot of oil within a minute. Checked all around the top of the engine and don’t see anything leaking. Only leaks when running. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Also how much oil does it hold? Your reply’s are appreciated.
I changed the oil and filter and did a thorough inspection of where the oil leak was coming from and found the center of the oil pressure switch where the wire connects to be leaking when the engine is running. Leaking a lot when under pressure. Hope this may help someone else