• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil lights flashing

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last year I went out for some fun right after when I summarized my 2007 SX230 and I notice the No Wake wasn't working properly at all and the oil lights started flashing, I change the oil and spark plugs and still with the same problem. Is anybody have experienced anything like? I need some guidance here. Thank you

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We could use a little more info. Are you getting this condition on both engines or just one? Are all 3 lights on the tach / tachs flashing or just the oil light? Do the engines crank and start properly or are they cranking slow and hard to start? Is everything else working properly? Sorry for all the questions but there are different possibilities depending on your conditions.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Agnusdei ! As @Gym said, specifics help to identify and correct the issues. Here are two pics from your manual to show the warning system on your boat. The lights are specific and the left light is the check engine light, the middle is "engine overheat", and the right is the oil pressure gauge. Give us more info...were here to help! And once again, welcome aboard!
overheat and warning 1.png overheat and warning 2.png

Last edited:

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We could use a little more info. Are you getting this condition on both engines or just one? Are all 3 lights on the tach / tachs flashing or just the oil light? Do the engines crank and start properly or are they cranking slow and hard to start? Is everything else working properly? Sorry for all the questions but there are different possibilities depending on your conditions.
Last year I changed oil and spark plugs, after still happening oil flashing alone on both engines. Engines start up fine, but my battery is already 7 years old. This problem started to happen right after when I notice the No wake wasn't working. Thank you for replying

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would get check the battery first because low voltage issues do cause erroneous codes and errors. Secondly, the oil pressure light does not flash as far as I know, it is a steady light as is the overheat or the check engine light, when they are individually illuminated. Flashing occurs when the no wake mode is engaged and all three lights flash. And then when you get a pattern flashing, it is giving you a code. The warning system will also reduced engine speed to 3000 rpm if either, the oil pressure does not rise to what is required, or if the engine overheats. If your engine speed was not reduced to 3000, that is an indication also that it is not the oil pressure warning. In the sunlight or even in the dark, those lights can be confusing as to which one is actually illuminated. But flashing is reserved for no wake mode operating, and for code delivery. Here is a listing of engine codes that are flashed. Note that it flashes one digit, then pauses, then flashes the other digit. I may be wrong, but I thought the light that flashed when an engine code is generated, is the check engine light, the first light on the left. Note the first picture I posted of page 2-13, at the bottom left of the page, it shows the 3 lights in the cluster and their corresponding meaning.

Attachments

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would get check the battery first because low voltage issues do cause erroneous codes and errors. Secondly, the oil pressure light does not flash as far as I know, it is a steady light as is the overheat or the check engine light, when they are individually illuminated. Flashing occurs when the no wake mode is engaged and all three lights flash. And then when you get a pattern flashing, it is giving you a code. The warning system will also reduced engine speed to 3000 rpm if either, the oil pressure does not rise to what is required, or if the engine overheats. If your engine speed was not reduced to 3000, that is an indication also that it is not the oil pressure warning. In the sunlight or even in the dark, those lights can be confusing as to which one is actually illuminated. But flashing is reserved for no wake mode operating, and for code delivery. Here is a listing of engine codes that are flashed. Note that it flashes one digit, then pauses, then flashes the other digit. I may be wrong, but I thought the light that flashed when an engine code is generated, is the check engine light, the first light on the left. Note the first picture I posted of page 2-13, at the bottom left of the page, it shows the 3 lights in the cluster and their corresponding meaning.
I put the battery on charge since this morning and I'm going to check the lights once again and I'll let you know. I was wondering if you know the model of the Yamaha diagnostic system for this 2007 sx230 and where can I get it? Thank you very much.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Agnusdei, where are you located? Someone might be able to let you borrow the diagnostic tool.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Search for "YDS Cable" on Ebay there are lots of options there.

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Search for "YDS Cable" on Ebay there are lots of options there.
Just found one here on ebat for $65 and im going to get it. I live in Lynnwood, WA. I called yamaha services in the area and they're booked until mid September and they charge a lot. Thank you so.much for helping me on this one.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As others said, similar issues have been caused from low battery voltage in the past. If the ECU has low voltage it starts to act weird. So it would be worth using a multimeter to check voltage or trying a different battery while you wait on the YDS cable.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
even pulling the battery and taking it to a battery shop where it can be both volt tested and load tested...it makes a difference.

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got my yds ordered from ebay, now can't find which cable to connect to engine

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Agnusdei, where are you located? Someone might be able to let you borrow the diagnostic tool.
Hi Bruce, just got.my yds from ebay, but can't find where to connect on engine to get a diagnostic. I've looked all engine wiring and none of them will fit to the yds cable and when I bought it says you can use with sx230. Do you have any idea?

Agnusdei

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just found and run the test, actually I was confused about the light flashing, but with dark environment I could see that was the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT was flashing instead and the results show "code 68 no wake mode switch with irregular signal. Please see attached picture.

Attachments

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a wiring problem between the engine controller and the no-wake switch. I'd jiggle some wires at the switch end (or fool with the switch itself) for starters and then work my way back.