• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Old discussion...wheel bearing grease..

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK...so the marine grade wheel bearing grease I bought states not to be used with wheels with brakes.

I am sure that it is due to the heat generated and possible liquidification of the grease. Is there a marine grade wheel bearing grease that can be used with brakes? I have not found one yet.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any help?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not sure about the specific answer to your question, but I have also been looking into wheel bearing grease. I bought a small IR thermometer to monitor my hub temps while towing. I've just done a couple checks on small tows and have found the hubs to be around 100 for the non-brake axle and 130 for the braking axle. The dropping point for the marine grease I use is 200*C or 392*F. Next week I will be towing 600 miles for vacation and plan to monitor the temperature of my hubs along the way. I'll be surprised if I see anything that high, but who knows.

Here is a higher temp grease for axles with brakes. It doesn't say it's marine, but I'm not sure how much that would affect it. The dropping point for this grease is over 520*.
http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/LubriMatic/L11465.html

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not sure about the specific answer to your question, but I have also been looking into wheel bearing grease. I bought a small IR thermometer to monitor my hub temps while towing. I've just done a couple checks on small tows and have found the hubs to be around 100 for the non-brake axle and 130 for the braking axle. The dropping point for the marine grease I use is 200*C or 392*F. Next week I will be towing 600 miles for vacation and plan to monitor the temperature of my hubs along the way. I'll be surprised if I see anything that high, but who knows.

Here is a higher temp grease for axles with brakes. It doesn't say it's marine, but I'm not sure how much that would affect it. The dropping point for this grease is over 520*.
http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/LubriMatic/L11465.html
Thanks @Bill D . I have auto high temp bearing grease which I will probably use. I guess they do not make a marine grade hi-temp.

I will be traveling about 300 miles this summer so wanted to check on it. I usually trailer 10 minutes to the marina so was not worried about hi-temps at the bearing locally.

Let me know what you find out on temps on your long trip.

Nick