• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

on lake powell 2017 ar190 top end gone

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HELP I am 2 hours boat ride to the doc. I am in lake powell my top end rpm has dropped from. 7400-7600 down to 6700 which means I can't get on plane with a full load. Any ideas? Otherwise runs great...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HELP I am 2 hours boat ride to the doc. I am in lake powell my top end rpm has dropped from. 7400-7600 down to 6700 which means I can't get on plane with a full load. Any ideas? Otherwise runs great...
Have you checked underneath and in the cleanout port to make sure you didn't suck something up?

Any chance you have a spare set of plugs (and tools) on board to swap out?

Any warnings or errors on the screen? Overheat alarm?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
May be worth checking for any obstructions on the pump?

Also, if you can't get any more power, you can try moving the weight around to see if there is enough power to plane with a different weight distribution.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Pump looks clear. I can get on plane if I reduce weight. Best way to check pump in water? Already went snorkeling and checked clean out, cant find anything.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't have extra plugs. What would I look for on plugs if I remove them? No engine warnings. Actually drove it to rainbow Bridge at 27mph 30 miles yesturday and was fine bit that was top speed. Rpms wont go above 6700??.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is anyone getting the help alert ?? I again didn't receive a notification, I just went in, unchecked the help group box, saved, then went back and joined again,

did this same thing last week when I didn't get an alert,

Tlcaffall - sorry I don't have any other advice but as bummer said to try to adjust your load with more weight forward,

does the engine sound smooth, maybe you had a coil or plug come loose,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you carrying a lot of water in boat? Maybe water is getting in and loading you down with a lot of weight Between the hulls? Open wet storage locker and remove drain plug and see if any water is coming up. Look in Engine compartment down low. Possible to remove second compartment plug and see if there is water being held.

Just a thought.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't see extra water. Would water reduce my rpm? Was wakeboarding with 300lb of ballast in ski locker Tuesday and rpms weren't reduced?

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
engine seems smooth as far as I can tell.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is your Jet gate coming up all the way? Is something maybe obstructing the gate from fulling coming up?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As dumb as this may seem, the neighbor had similiar issues on his yamaha Jet Ski before and he disconnected the battery waited a few and the reconnected the battery and it resolved itself. Perhaps something to do with the ECU.

Otherwise I am out of suggestions.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reverse gate Looks good. Even tightened the throttle cable to make sure it hit the limiting stop. I will try the battery disconnect.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am second owner bought on memorial day. Previous owner always ran premium. Everything I have read says these engines are tuned for regular. Started putting gas from houseboat in it. Not sure how old it is or ethenol content.... would that combined with higher altitude reduce my rpms?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could. The gas could have a big impact if it has issues. Altitude does reduce RPM's, other members can weigh in on that better than I.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks hangoutdoors. Just me in the boat I can get to 32mph, but still not getting above 6800 rpms. I appreciate your input. Just disconnected battery and reconnected. Doesn't seem to be the problem.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tlcaffall Good Luck. Wish I new more and could of helped you.

Mshu714

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
We had this issue two weeks ago on our 212X. One of the clean out ports wasn't completely sealed and had wiggled loose. We had water in the engine compartment though.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So.... i am going to chalk it up to poor quality gas, over loaded boat, and higher altitude. Otherwise boat seems to be running fine. Just have to limit wakeboard sessions to 6 in the boat and be patient planing out.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I
is anyone getting the help alert ?? I again didn't receive a notification, I just went in, unchecked the help group box, saved, then went back and joined again,

did this same thing last week when I didn't get an alert,

Tlcaffall - sorry I don't have any other advice but as bummer said to try to adjust your load with more weight forward,

does the engine sound smooth, maybe you had a coil or plug come loose,
i believe I did. It just said I was mentioned in a post, but took me to the post where help was summoned.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tlcaffall if you have some basic tools you can pull the airbox off and run without a filter. Should gain you a few hundred RPM and get you home on plane. Wouldn't run that way any longer than absolutely necessary though.

Check the plugs and look for excessive oil, bent tip, over/under gapped, or excessive "burnt" look to them.

If it's running smooth and was getting full rpm until the houseboat gas I would suspect that to be the issue. Are you close to a Marina where you can top off with some known good fuel?

If you have time, remove the ribbon or spark arrestor from the intake as well. There are another couple hundred RPM hidden in there.

Just had a thought, if you dinged the impeller and made the pitch more aggressive that might drag rpm down, but usually a dinged impeller shows as excessively high RPM with no thrust.