• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One and done...

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last weekend, I sucked up my 3rd rope and I'm really bummed about it as my boat sits in the shop needing repairs $$$. I've only had the boat 15 months.

First rope: lobster hoop netting on a dark night. Nearly sank the boat, towed 30 miles back from Catalina island, required new engine.

Second Rope: Dropping anchor on a dark night while boat-in-camping, towed 30 miles back from Catalina. $200 repair.

3rd Rope: Trying to be helpful and pull a guys boat stuck on the sand. We spent an hour getting the rope out, dropped the boat back in the water, get up to speed then engine dies and bilge starts cranking. In just 5 minutes, the boat fills with water. Boat is in the shop now waiting estimate.

I'm curious: How much water can one of these Scarab boats take in from a broken seal? Will they sink or just fill up really good with water?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, a new engine because of a fouled rope, that's terrible. Good luck on this latest round.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Last weekend, I sucked up my 3rd rope and I'm really bummed about it as my boat sits in the shop needing repairs $$$. I've only had the boat 15 months.

First rope: lobster hoop netting on a dark night. Nearly sank the boat, towed 30 miles back from Catalina island, required new engine.

Second Rope: Dropping anchor on a dark night while boat-in-camping, towed 30 miles back from Catalina. $200 repair.

3rd Rope: Trying to be helpful and pull a guys boat stuck on the sand. We spent an hour getting the rope out, dropped the boat back in the water, get up to speed then engine dies and bilge starts cranking. In just 5 minutes, the boat fills with water. Boat is in the shop now waiting estimate.

I'm curious: How much water can one of these Scarab boats take in from a broken seal? Will they sink or just fill up really good with water?
Carbon seal is a death blow if you're on the water. It will sink completely.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sucking up ropes and debris into the pump of any boat or PWC can cause damage. And also depending on how you react or address the situation can also be a factor on how extensive that damage is. One scenario can lead to another for example:

Suck a rope that shakes the engine. You clear the issue, and everything looks ok. About 10-15 hours later, your carbon seal fails because the engine shook out of alignment. Or, maybe you have your engine replaced due to an unrelated problem, and the service center does not check over their work, and the exhaust pipe becomes loose. Now you have a 3" hole in the hull.

In the end you have to be cautious, but its inevitable that you will encounter an issue like this one day just because of how our boat's propulsion system works.