• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One Engine louder

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone else have this issue? My starboard engine at idle and no wake is significantly louder than my port. The impeller has some nicks in the leading edge but very small. Wear ring doesn’t appear swollen or damaged. I can’t even tell the port engine is running below 2000 rpm but the starboard is significantly louder. Changed spark plugs the beginning of this season. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Check the connections to the exhaust/water box on that side.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ll take a look at those again. Large black rubber hoses coming off engine through transom? I checked black straps/thick bungee like tie downs on big metal drum looking things under the swim platform those seemed good. Sorry don’t know all the names of these parts. Did order another impeller incase it’s pump noise but I’d be blown away if that little song causes that much cavitation. Noise between the engines seems the same above no wake.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you think I should just change the plugs again? I put them in at the start of this season and the port engine is fine and got them at the same time. Maybe this is just normal

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I guess it depends what you mean by “louder”? If you mean it sounds just like the other engine but increased volume, then I’d check exhaust again. But if you mean it’s also rougher, then maybe plugs but I can’t imagine plugs only a few months old would be shot already. I’ve been shocked before though.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d say more rumble. My guess would be cavitation. Port impeller is pristine so I’ll replace the starboard and have it redone and see if that minor nick causes that much of a difference.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Usually cavitation would be more akin to having a slipping clutch in a vehicle, revving engine but the impeller “slipping” in the water not grabbing on to anything.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What’s my thought. Checking sealant under the boat in the water today

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hahah maybe it’s a slight difference but today and the past few hasn’t been bad I’d noticeable very much but glad I’m not going crazy and it’s definitely a thing