• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One engine stopped revving above 3000 rpm

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was out on the water today and we ran the boat for awhile. Everything worked great and I love this boat!

All of a sudden, one engine stopped revving above 3000 rpms when we tried to throttle up. I figured we might have sucked something up so I did the reverse/forward trick about 4 or 5 times and the engine started to rev normally again. I never did check the clean out plug since it cleared up.

I don't have an overheat light so I am wondering whether the engine overheated limiting the rpms or whether it could have been something clogging the jet/intake. When something blocks the jet, can it limit the rpms like this or is it more likely that it was overheated and it took a minute to cool off (during my reverse/forward clearing)?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most likely you sucked something up and then cleared it. I love when that happens!

The clearing part, not the sucking up part.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This sounds similar to an occasional issue that I had with our LX210.

We would start the day off with everything working fine. Then stop somewhere for a while and have one of both engines stall when a slammed down the throttle. I found that if I restarted the engine and throttled up more slowly it would rev up fine.

Seafoam helped a lot. I documented that at Seafoam Worked For Me .

I bought an air fuel separator with a fuel pump to see if it would help but I never got around to installing it.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sounds like something in the pump.

On my old Exciter we had a similar issue after floating a while with the motors off. Best I could tell is that the water boxes were filling with water when stopped. Best fix was to rev the motors a few times in neutral before taking off.

holidayshoreslsboater1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I accidentally drove for a bit with one engine not running and now I have the similar problem. The one engine has reduced power. It runs fine until 4k rpm and will not continue accelerating

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully you didn't get water in the engine that was not running. That can cause problems

1) I think you should check the compression on the problem engine first given that you may have sucked in some water.
2) next verify that you have spark to each of the spark plug wires
3) if 1 and 2 above check out, you could change/check your fuel filter
4) last, you may want to start thinking about a carb rebuild
5) you may also be overheating but that usually limits you to 3K RPM and not the 4K that you mention