• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One Ridesteady install tip

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the hopes of saving another mechanically challenged person (like me) from cursing at the APS while trying to get the cable off... I finally figured out that I could jam a flathead screwdriver behind the connector to release the latch. I still had a hard time gripping the cable, so I also used a larger set of pliers to grip the connector width (ie the 2” length - not the depth... it slipped off the couple times that I tried the depth and was afraid that I was going to tear the wires or connector).

Took me 80 minutes to get the cable off of the first APS, and only 2 minutes to get the second one...

The rest of the install was pretty easy. Looking forward to testing it out next week!

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the hopes of saving another mechanically challenged person (like me) from cursing at the APS while trying to get the cable off... I finally figured out that I could jam a flathead screwdriver behind the connector to release the latch. I still had a hard time gripping the cable, so I also used a larger set of pliers to grip the connector width (ie the 2” length - not the depth... it slipped off the couple times that I tried the depth and was afraid that I was going to tear the wires or connector).

Took me 80 minutes to get the cable off of the first APS, and only 2 minutes to get the second one...

The rest of the install was pretty easy. Looking forward to testing it out next week!
Thanks for the tip, @johnso30 !

We're updating the manual to note that you can also loosen or remove the bolts holding the APS on in order to better access the connector latch.

Why Yamaha decided to put the latch on the inside will remain a mystery.

Also, we use the same connector on the "throttle nodes" as is in your boat. So, you can inspect it and see how it latches before trying to get off the one in your boat, to hopefully make things easier.

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip, @johnso30 !

We're updating the manual to note that you can also loosen or remove the bolts holding the APS on in order to better access the connector latch.

Why Yamaha decided to put the latch on the inside will remain a mystery.

Also, we use the same connector on the "throttle nodes" as is in your boat. So, you can inspect it and see how it latches before trying to get off the one in your boat, to hopefully make things easier.
I tried to loosen the bolts on the APS, but I couldn’t get a hold of the nut to do so... not sure if I didn’t try the right size wrench, or if it was the fact that the nuts look to have been over tightened and were sunken into the carpet/wood at an angle that was hindering me...

Yes, I did find it helpful that you used the same connector so that I could see what I was dealing with. Your instructions are great! Very easy to follow. Yamaha just made this way harder than it ought to be...