• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oops I did it again!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most of what i know about vettes I learned from the web this past weekend. Surprisingly all vettes made in 2003 are 50th anniversary vettes. The official one comes in a metallic burgundy color with champagne colored rims and a shale/off white top and/or interior depending on if it's a coupe or convertible. The 50th Anniversay package was a $5k option and includes the special trim colors, badges and most importantly the magnetic suspension system.

I would have liked to get into a c6 / generation 6 (2005 to 2013) but the prices started at around $25k. The c7 is the latest generation and that started in 2014. By the way all 2014 c7s are stingrays. I saw a base model ls1 I think used for $56k, new they cost $65k, an l2 with nav, hud and drop top is $70k and the current top of the line an l3 (bigger pipes and two tone interior) retails for $80k. If they release a zr1 this year it will have a 6. 8l engine and my dealer said he expects bidding (assuming they get one) will start at $110k.

Like Porsches vette sellers in my area anyway tend not to price according to blue book. kbb on the vette I bought is just under $14k including a $1,500 premium specified by kbb. My seller said he priced it at kbb trade in value. It didn't really matter I felt I paod a fair price for it since it had new tires, brakes and battery. The third owner, the guy a bought or from only for it in August of 2014, so about 6 months.

I saw very few priced at kbb by private sellers or dealers. At the low end i saw two like mine ('03s with the anniv. Package) for $8,500 and $11k but they had 180k miles and 195k miles on them, respectively. On the other end I've seen a true 50th anniv vette for $22k that only had 13k miles on it. Than there were some outliers in the $25k to$30k range. The z06 vettes which have 405 hp instead of the standard back than 350 hp sell for a $5k to $10k premium.

I didn't even ask for a price reduction since my seller reposted the night before and already had an appointment to show the car to someone after me. I'm sure it would have sold quickly if I didn't buy it. He did the right thing by canceling the next inspection before I left and he also pulled the Craigslist ad for the car before I got home from the test drive. He called me this morning to confirm that he will have it smogged again before I pick it up this weekend.

Funny you should mention the towing aspect, I got the owners manual and audio cd from the vette yesterday. There is a towing section (I was wondering if I could hook up a small hitch / rack to hold snowboards or bikes on). It was a single sentence section, "your corvette was not intended or designed to be used as a tow vehicle." I will try and scan and post the page later. It makes sense especially since the tail pipes all meet and exit at the center of the rear bumper. Although i like the idea of towing a few jet skis to the water behind a vette with the top down in the summer. I'm Sure my son would love it as he is already changing where he wants me to drop him off at school but only when driving the vette.

This car met all of my requirements: convertible, sports car, under $15k before taxes, under $20k after taxes and required maintenance/repairs and 1st year full coverage insurance costs, automatic transmission so my wife can drive it as well. I have already identified about $400 in parts that I will buy to make it so everything works and looks like new (e.g. A passenger side visor, the original as a broken vanity mirror door, $150 on eBay, I need a new motor for the passenger seat so it can move forward and backward, that's another $150 on eBay). I started looking at these things last night until I looked over at my wife, she didn't seem to look very happy that I was still shopping in bed for parts to a car I haven't even taken possession of yet.

Maybe it's better that I didn't take possession yesterday since it drizzled here today, the first rain we've had on a week or so, not a good day for a convertible. Good times, good times. If it's sunny next weekend I'm taking the vette out, don't know where yet, maybe I'll just drove until I have to refill the tank, turn around and head home. My son would be ok with that, not sure about my wife unless we have a shopping destination.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My brother bought the new Stingray and it is unbelievable. I drove all kinds of high end exotic cars in one of those super day drives in Las Vegas. Ferrari, Audi R8, Lamborghini, Jaguar. This vette is the best blend of performance and "economy". $65K and you have a rocket... Launch control gets you to 60MPH in a little over 3 seconds. I think you have bought into a cult much like this Yamaha thing. Good going and I know I said this already.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is another pic. Funny I didn't take many, too busy checking everything out. My son has no poker face at all. Here are a few pics of one of the 911s I checked out. It's all white under the wrap. Looked great but just didn't do it for me.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie... one thing wrong with those rigs...no trailer hitches!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree but Here is what the user manual says about towing.
image.jpg

For anyone interceded here is link to a "true" 50th anniversary Corvette. The price is good but I never really considered it since it's not a convertible.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/4865930111.html

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ronnie, you are quickly becoming my hero with your toy purchases. Although not a Vette guy Im happy for your addition.
This is more my style, my wife calls it my girlfriend

Last edited:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree but Here is what the user manual says about towing
Dang it!! Those damn manuals, they will get you every time!! ;)