• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Open water/Ocean on an AR210?

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, I'm coming from a 19' (SX190) in the ocasional open water (northeast ocean), and it's a rough ride on anything above 2ft waves, unsurprisingly.
While I collected some mixed reviews from boaters early last year, I'm thinking that with the influx of new boaters in 2020 and 2021 there would be more feedback/experience about it from the community. Anyone boating in the ocean on a 21 footer? What has been your experience?

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I took a beating on my 2012 242 LS in the ocean in like 2 footers. I had more issues with the inlets than the actual ocean. Could be some driver error and also the Yamaha bow slanted down. I would still say on a 21 footer it’s pick your days wisely.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No Bimini trip here; but I have done some rough bay crossings. I put the bow cover on and move everyone to the back. We occasionally catch air in the pumps and it matters where the waves are coming from and where you need to go; but with some caution, they can get the job done…. up to a point I care not to determine.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Berberman I don't boat on the Ocean, but I do on the Great Lakes and a lot in Lake St. Clair, in my 2020 AR210. The lakes have a bathtub affect and the waves can have short timing between them so can be rougher than what is in Ocean at times since they are much shallow around here.

On any given day 1-3' footers are the norm and they both roll and break. Anything larger than that I come off the lake. I have ben in some rollers in the Detroit River from Tanker wakes that are bouncing between the Canadian and Detroit side that I would project were 4-6' and that is the only time I got very nervous, we were moving up the river to Belle Isle. They came out of nowhere.

Anyhow I installed trim tabs this last spring and it has been a game changer in ride quality and safety. I can take some video next time I am out and show how the boat handles the waves.

Now with that being said, you will get rocked around a bit. in 1-3' footers I can go 25 mph give or take do just fine, of course taking the larger waves at an angle. Except for that one time in the river I have not had an issue.

On Lake Michigan I have been 10-15 miles off shore in 12-15 mph winds.

With all this being said, a 24'/25' Yamaha would handle it better with the slightly higher freeboard and weight. But the 21' does just fine.

Last edited:

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I don’t know much about trim tabs but will do some research, thanks for the tip. Video would be a bonus 👍

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Berberman Because our boats can't trim, change the angle of the jet pumps, you use trim tabs to lower the bow which cuts through the waves rather than porpoising and flying off them, basically jumping them. In land lakes that don't get rough, they are usually not needed or too beneficial. Ocean and Great Lakes or Large Inland lakes that get rough, they help a ton.

See pics below and search the forums here under trim tabs. You can see mine on the right and left side of the stern. Below was the install day, when I put them on. I used LectroTab.

16182716672933112587856623254612.jpg

16182718356852814813440374775606.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We got beat up in our 21ft. Spend the extra and go 25 such a big difference