• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opening Up the Engine-Achieving Top Speed

Hoky7576

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there an art to reaching max speed?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Power:weight ratio

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can you please explain ? Thank you
It's a simple power-to-weight ratio thing. Want to go faster with stock motor, remove some weight. Want to go faster with the same weight or more weight, you need more power. There's tunes and some hardware modifications that can get you more speed. I go the opposite way and just tell my wife to not pack half the house for one afternoon.

Hoky7576

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i can just go full throttle? I thought I had to ease into it or something

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
There are different mods you can do to help. Check out my sig for options/ideas. Be sure to do a search. Hope you like reading.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So i can just go full throttle? I thought I had to ease into it or something
If it's a new boat, read your manual. There is a break-in procedure.

Hoky7576

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s a 2014 with 208 hours on it

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Hoky7576

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks sorry. I was in negotiations on a 2011 240sx before I bought the 2014 ar210. On our first time out on the boat, I got some water in the center storage unit. I dry stack my boat. So if I Open up the drain in that storage unit while I’m out on the lake it will get rid of the of the water in storage and it won’t take in more water correct ?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That drain should empty into the bottom of the engine compartment where the bilge pump can pump it out or you can pull the drain plug (just don't pull it when you in the lake - not a good idea)

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Everyone is right when it comes to reducing weight in order to get a higher top speed. The drains in your boat drain to the bilge, but not all of them end up where the factory bilge pump is in the back of the engine compartment. In order to get all water out you need to remove the main drain plug (back of the boat, bottom of the hull) and all the interior plugs that drain not only into the engine compartment, but into the bottom of the hull. Guessing that would need to be done when it's in the dry dock after your marina pulls the boat out of the water if they don't do that for you.

Elevation of the lake also plays a role if you boat in a higher altitude area. Going down wind on calm water helps too. ;)

In the end that elusive top speed is a bit over rated, focus more on handling/performance at normal boating speeds (10-35 mph). Just because your boat doesn't hit 50 mph means there are issues. What speed are you getting?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes you can just slam it to full throttle from the get go if you wish.
You can also slam it into reverse from WOT. Just tell everyone to hold on first. Don't want to loose anyone. ;)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You can also slam it into reverse from WOT. Just tell everyone to hold on first. Don't want to loose anyone. ;)
And make sure anything that can float is secured AND your bilge pump is working properly.