• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Opinions on Uncovered Wet Slip

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
The past two summers I’ve used dry stack storage for my boat. I’m considering a new marina this summer and they only have uncovered wet slips. I’m looking for opinions or reviews from others that have gone this route. My boat has always been covered when not being used so I’m just a little apprehensive about it being out in the elements during the hot Georgia summer. I have a custom snap on cover for my AR250. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I can’t speak much to the uncovered wet slip but my boat has been stored outside on its trailer for over 10 years. It’s always been had a storage cover or mooring cover on it but the constant temperature cycles have taken its toll on the upholstery. Now it’s very brittle m, cracking and needs to be replaced at a minimum cost of $3k plus if I do the work myself. So at the very least outside storage will require more preventive maintenance.

I had my boat in a covered slip for the first time last season. the scrum line that developed over four months took me about a day to clean off. That said I won’tbe renting another slip unless there is a lift in it and am now considering having my tower modified so it can easily be lowered and raised which will alllow me to put it in the dry stack at my local marina.

I have been using a wet slip for four years now. I always use the mooring cover and anti pooling poles to keep water out of the boat and the sun off the interior. I usually take the boat one a trip once in the middle of summer and I use that as a good time to clean up the bottom. Even with that at the end of summer you will definitely have some cleaning to do to get the scum off the bottom. It usually takes me a couple hours with some Starbright hull cleaner a brush and the power washer. But this is so much better then trailering back and forth or waiting for someone to forklift the boat out of storage. I will always wet slip as long as I am using the boat on a regular basis.

I usually take the boat one a trip once in the middle of summer and I use that as a good time to clean up the bottom. Even with that at the end of summer you will definitely have some cleaning to do to get the scum off the bottom. It usually takes me a couple hours with some Starbright hull cleaner a brush and the power washer. But this is so much better then trailering back and forth or waiting for someone to forklift the boat out of storage. I will always wet slip as long as I am using the boat on a regular basis.

Agree 100% with one exception...I did the Starbright routine at the end of the season for a year of two but the PITA factor was too much. I take it to my local marina and they clean the bottom for me. It's well worth the cost!

Yeah I have always wanted to pay someone to clean my boat but every time I look into it the cost seems way to high but that’s for wax and everything.

Yeah I have always wanted to pay someone to clean my boat but every time I look into it the cost seems way to high but that’s for wax and everything.
For reference, I pay $11 per foot for the wash. I wax it myself.

That’s not bad! $11 a foot would be worth the money.

Keep my boat in the water for six months at a time. Keep the mooring cover on it when not in use. Kinda sucks taking the cover off and on but it is a 10 minute job. Besides that's the wife's job. Trailered my boat for the first 2 years and that sucked. Just walk up to the boat and I'm off in ten minutes.

Quick question on wet slip for SX190, what ‘treatment’ do you apply to bottom of boat before leaving in a freshwater lake for a few weeks? Total boating season is short in WI, will pull it out and scrub the bottom after a few weeks
Thx

Quick question on wet slip for SX190, what ‘treatment’ do you apply to bottom of boat before leaving in a freshwater lake for a few weeks? Total boating season is short in WI, will pull it out and scrub the bottom after a few weeks
Thx
Any good hull wax will do.

I wet slip in the lake as well with the cover. No issues. A few times during the summer when everyone is playing in the water, I take out a brush I have on a long pole and scrub the bottom. Good exercise and keeps the scum level under control. It keeps me from pulling the boat out and makes the fall clean up easier too. I also use Star Brite and a scrub brush on the hull when I pull it out for the season - and do it IMMEDIATELY - after getting out of the water. I learned the hard way and didn't clean it right away after the first season. Scum was hard as a rock. I made up a few new swear words that long afternoon.

I've been on a lift for over 3 years. Moving to wet slip for a bit this year. There's a "drive through" hull wash place on our lake that i plan to use.

I've been on a lift for over 3 years. Moving to wet slip for a bit this year. There's a "drive through" hull wash place on our lake that i plan to use.
Going to try the hull wash on Lanier this season also.

Last edited:
When I had my Rinker back in the late '90's I had it in an uncovered wet slip from late May to early September in western PA for several years with just the cover on it. I would pull it out once a month and use SlimyGrimy on it to clean the bottom.

The big thing is not to let water pool on the cover. If you let it sit for more than a week where you don't have the cover off to let it dry out, I would put one or two DampRid buckets in it. You may see a little mold from time to time but just give it a good scrub with Clorox wipes, etc.

The biggest challenge was the gelcoat chalking on the flat surfaces.... especially the darker colors.... because I only had a cockpit cover and not a full cover. I would try to hit it every few weeks with some good gelcoat polish and that brought it back well. The sides of the boat were a dark grey but the way would be enough to protect them from chalking too much.

I'm probably going to be rack storing my '22 275SD down here in southwest Florida. I originally planned to put in a lift at our marina near my home but after hurricane damaged the marina, I have about convinced myself to rack store it even though it will be a 17-minute drive vs a 5-minute walk to get into the boat.

BTW.... I'm a Dayton Flyer as well..... class of '86.

Nice! I wish I had that convenience!

Remind me, what marina are you in?
We are in one of the storage units at Port Royale. We put in at Vann's Tavern. Not as convenient as a covered slip., not a fan of dry stacking and it sure beats the 90-minute drive each way to and from the lake we had prior to moving to GA.

We are in one of the storage units at Port Royale. We put in at Vann's Tavern. Not as convenient as a covered slip., not a fan of dry stacking and it sure beats the 90-minute drive each way to and from the lake we had prior to moving to GA.
Makes sense. We're moving out of PR wet slip to Bald Ridge if all goes well.

I’ve been wet slipping for years…The trade off for me is: some extra maintenance/ware and tear vs convenience. Having the boat in the water all season means you just show up with some drinks and go. I get a lot more use out of my boat this way…never used the boat mid work week when it was on a trailer.
I’m in brackish water. My advice: go with the full mooring cover to completely cover your boat, and get the hangtyte system as well. Barrier coat and bottom paint (I lost 2mph top speed from this, but if you get growth on the hull I promise you will lose significantly more speed and efficiency). Install tow valves so you can still flush engines while in the water. I also highly recommend fender socks if you have anything but white gel coat. Installing an extra bulge pump is also advisable.

1679062758975.jpeg

Back