• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing performed by dealers - SE Michigan

TimeOnTheWater07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but there still seems to be some debate around winterizing strategies in groups I follow on facebook and a few folks on here. For those who don't do it themselves yet, below is my experience having 2 watercraft winterized by 2 different dealers. It may or may not change or confirm your approach should you want to start doing it yourself.

Background/watercraft:
I have a 2006 VX110 Waverunner and a new-to-me 2021 Yamaha SX190 that I picked up in August. In southeast Michigan, there’s only 2 dealers listed on Yamaha’s website, Wonderland (Howell, Pickney, Waterford) and Freeway Sport Center (Fenton). No real reason as to why, but I wanted a dealer to winterize the boat for the first time.

Dealers:
For the SX190, I took it to Wonderland (Howell). I had my Waverunner repaired there at the end of last year for a new stator and winterizing. It wasn’t a great experience (was in shop for +3 months), but I figured a simple boat winterizing and oil change would go smoother and chalked up last year to an unresponsive service advisor and part delays.

For the waverunner, I took it to Rosenau (Dearborn) for winterizing and an oil change. I've used them for years aside from last, and went back to them this year. Even though they specialize in bikes and ATVs, they were quick, thorough, and it’s a shorter drive.

Attached are images of the invoices for both dealers so you can see the costs breakdown.

Reviews:
Wonderland (Howell) – SX190 Boat:
The boat was returned within 2 weeks. Winterizing for them consists of blowing the water out and fogging the engine, along with an oil change. They do not run antifreeze through it and the person who cashed me out said that it can cause problems in the exhaust. He stated, as it’s been said many times, that the engines are self-draining. The owner’s manual never mentions antifreeze as well. They start the engine and rev it a few times, that’s it. He couldn’t tell me the order of operations between blowing the water out and fogging though. I obviously won’t be able to confirm the fogging until I start it in the spring, and hope for some smoke. The oil filter is new, so I know that was done as I mark mine before taking it in. Nothing was greased except for the intermediate bearing, as it is specifically mentioned. I haven’t taken the cover off to see if I can prove it. They list “inspecting” things, but I have no report to show that they did. For the price, I don’t see why they couldn’t lubricate the boat. My fault for not requesting it directly, although I’m sure that would have added at least another $100.
Zero value here and I’ll be winterizing the boat myself next year. Even purchasing spark plugs with them turned out to be a ripoff, but again, my fault.

Experience gripe (feel free to skip):
Their entire service department is staffed entirely with people who absolutely hate their jobs and appeared annoyed when asked very simple questions about what I was paying for. I’m referring only to the “service advisors” – can’t speak for the actual techs. Unpleasant from start to finish and I hope I don’t have to go back for any repairs any time soon. The service advisor who wrote me up when I dropped it off was probably new, because it was taking so long for him to look up the pre-canned job for winterizing an SX190, that he turned the monitor toward me so I could help search for it. Just one example.

I also asked if they were disposing of any shipping covers, and got 3 different stories and a “we’ll take your name down”, which no one ever did. I know they are not included with new boat sales by default, based on getting a quote with them last fall when I was considering buying new. They don’t owe me anything here, but a little effort would have gone a long way to make up for lack of customer service.

Anyone that gives them a positive review online has an incredibly low bar for customer service or high tolerance for being treated poorly.
2022-10-14_wonderland_invoice.jpg

Rosenau (Dearborn) – VX110 Waverunner:
The waverunner was done in 1 day, dropped on Friday, picked up on Saturday. Oil changed, antifreeze run through, everything was greased from the throttle to steering – end-to-end. Little messy on the traction mats but nothing I couldn’t clean up. I asked directly about antifreeze and the service manager had a pretty strong opinion, which led me to think he’s had customer complaints/issues in the past. He actually took me into the shop to show me the device they custom built to run antifreeze directly into the pump. It was a portion of a 55gal barrel cut down to fit under the intake with an electric pump to circulate the liquid. They don’t run it through the flush port.
2022-10-01_rosenau_invoice.jpg
Summary:
For winterizing the boat, I don't think I’ll mess with the antifreeze. While Wonderland did the absolute bare minimum, what the service advisor said about self-draining and how they winterize would make me feel comfortable skipping that step. If they had a bunch of people’s boats freezing and cracking, I would think they’d add the antifreeze step into their process. In general, winterizing for the jet boat felt like a total rip off and one expensive oil change. My plan would be to oil change, then blow out the water, then fog.

If anyone in SE Michigan has a better dealer recommendation for future service or repair for jet boats, please drop a reply. I believe Grand Pointe and Wonderland are the only 2 dealers that sell Yamaha jet boats in the general area.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2009 seadoo sportster and my 2016 212X. I’ve never run antifreeze through my Yammie and only did it once in the Seadoo. The boats are stored in an unheated barn in upstate NY where it easily gets well below zero. Never had a problem.

I agree, I wouldn’t pay somebody to do it again if were you. Not hard at all to do it yourself. My guess is the vast majority of people on this forum do it themselves.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Winterizing and maintenance, Do it yourself. I no longer use the OEM oil filters as well. only thing I would use a dealer for is a warranty repair or a large item, maybe an engine or such.

I bought my boat from @Wonderland Marine , the one in Waterford. I dealth with Ryan, the sales manager. Had a fantastic experience with them, no issues. Honest and straight forward. I stop in there from time to time and have went and inspected boats for forum members whom were out of state and buying from them, to make sure everything was in order before they made the drive. Its unfortunate you had a bad experience with Howell.

Shipping cover comes with the boat. Every boat that I have seen sold/been involved in, and that number is north of 20, has it with it, along with the tower brackets if it has a tower. I know that some dealers resell them, which is not cool at all I have been pretty vocal about that, may as well take a spare tire or a few screws out and sell that too..... Maybe yours was damaged when they took it off.

Last year I used antifreeze, this year I did not.

TimeOnTheWater07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sales and service are very different. Guess it depends on who you talk to there.
When I picked up my waverunner last November, we humored ourselves and got a quote from Joe N. (Howell) for a brand new SX190. I specifically asked about including the shipping cover and he had to add it as a line item in the quote so that they wouldn’t trash it. It wasn’t a charge, but was a separate line. He was nice enough, but I knew more about the Yamaha boats than he did. I’m sure I’ll only think this until something major happens, but I’m very glad I found a good deal on a used boat vs buying new. Last November it would have been 38k and now just over 40k for a starter SX190.

I figured it was worth a shot to ask the service guys if they had any laying around that they were going to throw out anyway. Got 3 different answers and gave up. I don’t intend on going back unless forced to for repairs.

The couple I bought my boat from either didn’t receive the cover when they got the boat from Grand Pointe in Lansing or didn’t keep it.

Now on to finding a storage unit so I can get my garage back, hopefully before it snows.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Three important things to remind yourself that are common in every one of these debates.

1. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
2. There is no winterization section in the manual. It's under "long term storage" as it differs based on the region you live in and how long your boat will sit. None of those things includes antifreeze.
3. Dealers will sell you whatever you are willing to pay for. The ones that quote the manual, but will still do whatever you ask for, deserve a bit of respect, as they are honoring #1 above.

TimeOnTheWater07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Three important things to remind yourself that are common in every one of these debates.

1. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
2. There is no winterization section in the manual. It's under "long term storage" as it differs based on the region you live in and how long your boat will sit. None of those things includes antifreeze.
3. Dealers will sell you whatever you are willing to pay for. The ones that quote the manual, but will still do whatever you ask for, deserve a bit of respect, as they are honoring #1 above.

Totally agree with #1 and #2.
#3 - I noticed they liked your comment so felt compelled to reply.
Regarding “will do whatever you will pay for”…. I apparently paid for a bunch of inspections according to the work order, yet they gave me no evidence or report. It’s hard to know what services are available to pay for when the service advisor lacks knowledge or interest of what they offer or would recommend. You go to a dealer because they are supposed to be the experts. My comment about the owners manual was from my reading of it and that storage section you mentioned, not from them. So I’ll disagree with the respect part for a business, or at least department, with poor customer service.

All of that aside, at least I have a playbook for next year and decided the antifreeze debate for me.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I bought from Wonderland (Howell) from Ryan the Sales Manager in May of 21. Maybe because we were out of state purchasers with a 10-hour drive home, the shipping cover and brackets were included automatically. Didn't have to ask for them.