• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinions wanted: New Stereo HU

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really want to replace the stereo head unit in my boat but I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices. It still has the factory unit. The one that is mounted in the glove box and has remotes in the helm and swim platform (which doesn't work by the way). I want one that has more options, at least an aux input but possibly Bluetooth. With the head unit being mounted in the glove box. Operating the controls can be a little more of a pain, especially while under way. I like that there is a remote at the helm now and getting a unit that is setup for wired remotes would be nice. So hear is my question. What HU would be a good one to look at that could be wired up to at least one remote, possibly two ( or would a wireless remote work out just as well )? What brands have remotes that would fit well in the dash, or could be made to fit? And what would be a good starting point in case I wanted to add an amp in the future? I would like to find something for less than $200 but might be willing to spend a little more if necessary. All thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, are the wireless remotes all RF or are some infrared and need line of sight to work? And I realize wired remotes are an extra cost. Just curious about head units right now.:)

Last edited:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
An infrared remote control is useless when used in sunlight. A given HU may come with an IR remote. Just put it in the bag with the owners manual.
Remote pulse codes are not universal. Each brand uses their own. Some code-learning adapters may allow one brand to work with another but these are generally slow and clumsy.
There are universal RF remote keyfobs that send a converted IR pulse to the HU IR target behind a closed glove box door.
Within a $200 budget you can get a loaded marine HU. Like Kenwood for example. But you may need to budget more for remote controls and any adaption required to retrofit the previous location.
With a HU located in the glove box you can't get by without a remote at the helm.
You might get with Odin @ Earmark Marine. He has all the options under one roof. Send him pics and measurements of the existing remotes.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Options are great! I had HU issues on my new boat and received a credit from Yamaha, so I chose to use it to replace my HU with the Fusion IP700i. It has options. It is BT capable with the BT harness sold separately, it will take a multitude of phones and pods internally and source them directly, it has a direct cable for hooking USB, fusion link allows full control wirelessly (not IR), and it has an aux port for using a mini plug off your pod. But the really nice feature of this deck is that is is powered better than most decks @ 50W and it has FOUR ZONE CONTROL! It has direct iPod control right on the face of the HU and remote. With the BT, you may never use another remote however. I use my classic iPod internally inside the deck, and it keeps it charged, accesses all my songs/playlists/albums/etc. And it does it from the remote as well...full control. I don't know about issues using more than one wired remote with it, but you can get the app for use through the fusion-link and have full control of the unit from your iPhone as well. This is well outside the $200 range. But it provides options and capability most won't provide. If you narrow down what you want to do and can find an HU that will give you that, you may have a better option there. But this HU is an amazing piece of technology that I was dragging my feet getting, but am I glad I did it.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@David Analog and @txav8r Thanks for your input. I think I'm leaning toward a Kenwood unit with two remotes but we'll see what I end up with.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I vote for whatever Fusion Marine head unit best meets your needs.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Consider Sony CDX h910UI
It has three zones, usb cable that supports all I stuff, charges through the usb, allows for multiple added sony remotes that control the I stuff, and has a mp3 CD player. The remote and HU are simple and intuitive to use too.
It is close to your budget and I have been extremely happy with mine.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also look at the clarion m303. It has wired remotes mw1 which I do believe will fit right in the dash and an mf1 wireless remote that is a rf remote. No line of sight needed and works up too 100 ft away.

You can also use a y adapter to put in as many wired remotes as you want.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another vote for fusion. I have the older 600 and wired remote at stern.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The trick in this case is the OP has a 1st gen 230 which has the JVC/JBL rectangular REM25 remote integrated in the dash. If you try to replace it with a round remote it's like putting a round peg in a square hole. It may work, but looks very weird unless you fabricate a filler panel to fill the rectangular space of the origin

Some of the new rectangular remotes fit in that space but it's a tight fit. I did it with a Fusion NRX200 remote. The integrated dash remote on these models was nice at first, but it becomes a challenge to replace/upgrade

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I still wish I replace mine with the Fusion 700

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The trick in this case is the OP has a 1st gen 230 which has the JVC/JBL rectangular REM25 remote integrated in the dash. If you try to replace it with a round remote it's like putting a round peg in a square hole. It may work, but looks very weird unless you fabricate a filler panel to fill the rectangular space of the origin

Some of the new rectangular remotes fit in that space but it's a tight fit. I did it with a Fusion NRX200 remote. The integrated dash remote on these models was nice at first, but it becomes a challenge to replace/upgrade
@maboat How well did the nrx200 fit on the dash location? Got a pic?

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Consider Sony CDX h910UI
It has three zones, usb cable that supports all I stuff, charges through the usb, allows for multiple added sony remotes that control the I stuff, and has a mp3 CD player. The remote and HU are simple and intuitive to use too.
It is close to your budget and I have been extremely happy with mine.
I am planning to upgrade my HU in the spring and have pretty much settled on a Fusion HU. But the Sony interested me due to the zone volume, unfortunately it is discontinued when I went to Sony's website. Of the Marine HU's they show, none have the zone volume unless I missed it.

X2 on @Murf'n'surf request for a pic of your remote installation @maboat. If you have one handy.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BravoMike
To be more specific, it has three amp outs that I use as zones through my amps. It accomplishes the same result. The HU itself does not have three controllable zones. Sorry for the misspeak...

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gotcha @jawsf16 Too bad they discontinued the HU. Interesting option.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is to go with Fusion and you will not regret it. They may not have every available feature but they have a huge number of features and a better amplifier than any other head unit I am aware of. But most importantly they are built like a tank and specifically for a marine environment.

I am curious if the 205 would fit in your console instead of needing to install a remote there? http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/head-units-200-series/ms-ra205

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is to go with Fusion and you will not regret it. They may not have every available feature but they have a huge number of features and a better amplifier than any other head unit I am aware of. But most importantly they are built like a tank and specifically for a marine environment.

I am curious if the 205 would fit in your console instead of needing to install a remote there? http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/head-units-200-series/ms-ra205
The 205 looks really good but it's way to big to fit in the helm area where the remote is. This whole setup was probably really nice when the boat was built but now it's kind of creating some option problems.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 205 looks really good but it's way to big to fit in the helm area where the remote is. This whole setup was probably really nice when the boat was built but now it's kind of creating some option problems.
What are the dimensions of the existing remote?

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the dimensions of the existing remote?
I really don't know and the boat's not at my house to be able to check. Maybe someone that has one similar can find out. I'm curious myself. I know I can retrofit something to work. I'm just weighing my options.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce that is a good thought. Wish my boat was at the house to measure. According to Fusion's website the face-plate for the remote is 4 3/8" X 2 11/16" and the face-plate for the RA205 is 6 3/16" X 2 11/16." Height is the same for the Fusion Remote and RA205. HU is only 1 13/16" wider than remote. That might work! Only one remote would be needed for the swim deck. @maboat since you installed the remote in the helm, do you think the RA205 would fit since it is only 1 13/16" longer than the remote? Know it will be tight and may need some modification to the dash, but possible?