• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Options for extra fuel?

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love my LX210, but it can chew through fuel at an amazing rate when having fun. What options are out there other than $500 fuel bladders for carrying extra gas?

We have several "long" portions of the intracoastal where I think I can make it from city to city, but I don't want to find out the hard way that I can't. :S I'm sure there will also come a time when there simply isn't any fuel to be had within range of a tank. Not a fan of strapping a 5 gallon plastic can to the swim platform all day, just looking for other options.

Other issue with jerry-cans is is you spill while refueling you're gonna get your you-know-what in a ringer. I think it's actually illegal to refuel on the water in some places? (There's another thread on this very thing somewhere around here...)

I like the idea of a fuel bladder in the ski locker. Although expensive this is the largest amount of fuel that you are going to be able to add.

Another option would be to use a 6 to 24 gallon fuel tank plumbed in as a second tank. These tanks are available for outboard motors.

Either way I would want to plumb it in.

A much more expensive option would be to upgrade boats. A SX190 gets over twice the fuel mileage but with only 3/4s of the fuel tank capacity. Your LX210 is faster and more manuverable than the SX190 so it would be a trade off.

A much more expensive option would be to upgrade boats. A SX190 gets over twice the fuel mileage but with only 3/4s of the fuel tank capacity. Your LX210 is faster and more manuverable than the SX190 so it would be a trade off.

I'm letting that thought roll around in the back of my head. If I did, I'd want one of the twin engine 4-strokes so I'm not taking such a huge hit in the power.

I heard that the same guys who started Sea-Tow have a new refueling service.....

imagesZL3783N0.jpg

Called, "Tanks Aloft". :cool:

I'm letting that thought roll around in the back of my head. If I did, I'd want one of the twin engine 4-strokes so I'm not taking such a huge hit in the power.

I did some fuel burn comparisons in the Preparing For Bimini Thread. The LX210 burns 2.36 times the fuel at 30 mph as a 212 which has a 50 gallon tank giving the 212 approximately 2.5 times the range.

Newer twin engine 210 (3.98 @ 31.1 w MR1s), 212 (3.19@ 27.2 with 1.8s), 230HO(3.41 @ 28), 240 (3.25 @ 31.7) and 242 (3.25 @ 27.5), models have similar fuel consumption to the 212x and 50 gallon tanks.

We had a LX210 for a year and really enjoyed it. We upgraded to a SX230 HO for more passenger capacity. I miss the manuverabulity of the LX210 but enjoy the stability of the SX230. All of the newer boats have hulls that handle rough water better than the LX210.

If you are comfortable with the investment I believe that a newer boat would better meet your needs.

Yeah... I'm kind of leaning that way, but I think we'll actually have to run out of gas at some point and get stranded somewhere before the family accountant (wife) approves something like that. :)

:thumbsup:New Boat New BoatNew BoatNew BoatNew BoatNew BoatNew BoatNew BoatNew Boat:devilhorns:

Just put 6, 55 gallon drums on the back like the boat in the James Bond movie. Then you can drop them off the back and light them on fire!:)

I don't know how it is on your boat but two things come to mind. First, in my ss i have a center "cooler" storage that fits a 5 gallon can perfectly. I don't know if you can find one that fits like that but it is great.
Second, if your boat is constructed like my exciter was then you can pull up the rear seat with just a handful of screws and get to the fuel tank. You can then see the wall between it and the engine compartment. You would have to pull the whole tank out and figure out where you could put it exactly, but you may have room to protrude into the engine bay with a custom made aluminum tank. These are not cheap at all and you may only get 5 gallons more!
Best option is just a tank or two on the back deck. Tie up or beach it and fill. I don't recommend filling out on open water.

Back