• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

original Thrust Vector reviews?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
may be a long shot but who has the original Thrust Vectors? non-XL/XV version. I'm talking one of them rare smaller fins.

I ran mine without it and kinda liked it. But only when docking, I prefer the fins.

Bigger fins made it rather difficult to steer as far as amount of force you have to exert to turn...so I'm thinking smaller fins may be a perfect compromise...

Can the owners of original Thrust Vectors chime in?

Thanks!

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to have them and since upgraded to the XL. I never ran my boat without so I cannot comment on the difference between none and the small ones. They did however help with slow speed maneuvering. I think I could feel a little pressure on the wheel, though I don't think the XLs are bad. I liked the smaller fins.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You may want to consider the Cobra Magnum non spring loaded adjustable fins that I make , those can be set at any level you want so you can get slow speed assistance only if that is what you wish and they are also compatible with the new fangs for better reverse control and power steering if you want the fins deployed at speed and not have any resistance in the wheel.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you go back to the old site you can read about the ones you were asking about, there numerous posts on that site for reference.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had the original Cobra Jet Steering Fins and the newest version, very pleased with them.

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have fins, fangs and EZ Locks...thanks Jeff! They are on my new AR240. I removed the fangs to feel the difference and never put them back on. I like the feel without better, less tension and tightness at higher speeds. The fins work great alone at high and low speeds. The fangs may fight the new keel and response isn't much different aside from the tightness. They probably work much better with the pre 2015 models. Love all the CJ products and service is next to none...highly recommended!

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i get that Cobra makes a good product but this was specifically for the ORIGINAL THRUST VECTORS...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have fins, fangs and EZ Locks...thanks Jeff! They are on my new AR240. I removed the fangs to feel the difference and never put them back on. I like the feel without better, less tension and tightness at higher speeds. The fins work great alone at high and low speeds. The fangs may fight the new keel and response isn't much different aside from the tightness. They probably work much better with the pre 2015 models. Love all the CJ products and service is next to none...highly recommended!
I guess I will have to try that after all!

Sorry @blacksapphirez !:) Over and out.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez we've found that the control around the dock was good with the original fins but because the fins were so short they did not work as well as many had hoped. When we extended the fins down beneath the hull and got them into the non-turbulent water we found that the control was much improved and that was a real turning point for our company.

I don't really see where there is much effort required to turn the boat at any speed with Thrust Vector XL or XV with the exception of at times when you're turning hard at 10-15 mph. At those times the fins will be up but the boat won't be on plane so you'll feel more feedback due to the force of the water. This happens rarely when I boat, but I guess each boater is different.

If you want to give them a try we have a group buy coming up in November and you will be able to buy at a great price plus if you don't like them we'll allow you to return them.