• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ouch! 2 Optima Blue 27s

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
After dumping a bunch of acid in my boat from over filling my standard batteries I have gone to 2 Optimas. How have you guys found these batteries to be for our boats.

In the past few years I have had many issues with Optima both red and blue. My Mastercraft dealer and stereo shop have stopped installing them.

They seem to short out and fail quicker than they should. Even with a warranty it is troublesome to remove and replace.

I have had zero problems with Deka, Interstate and Lifeline Agm style batteries.

If I read your post correctly, you have already purchased them? I don't think you need to return the batteries but I'm giving you my real world experience with over 35 batteries changed out in the last 3 years. (not all Optimas).

After dumping a bunch of acid in my boat from over filling my standard batteries I have gone to 2 Optimas. How have you guys found these batteries to be for our boats.
I've stayed away from them from having seen what two friends went through. Both had two that wouldn't hold a charge halfway through the season. Could have been a bad batch, who knows.
I have great luck with Costco batteries....never considered even checking the level, if it won't hold a charge it goes back. Never an issue returning them.

I do use battery boxes with lids strapped tightly just to be safe. And I can tell you that from time to time the boat gets stolen by some crazy guy who tries to flip it. Everything stays put down in there....:winkingthumbsup"

I have had the same Optima battery on my fishing boat for at least 6 years and it works like a champ. I do use a Mariner ProSport charger/maintainer on it.

@Evil Sports , good luck with the Optimas, I've always wanted a pair for the boats as I've had gel cell / no maintenance batteries on my jet skis but never my boat and they have lasted quite a while. The part I can't justify is the cost at over $200 each.

@ Glassman, thanks for the reminder on the costco return policy. I've been using Walmart batteries in my cars and boat for years but starting next year its costco all the way.

I have one interstate deep cycle battery and one walmart deep cycle. I cannot tell the difference between the 2. Both last a long time with the stereo and both start the boat. The battery from Walmart is a Johnson controls battery so it is a good battery.

I have a die hard starting and die hard platinum deep cell. Had the platinum replaced under warranty. Never a problem at sears.

I have one interstate deep cycle battery and one walmart deep cycle. I cannot tell the difference between the 2. Both last a long time with the stereo and both start the boat. The battery from Walmart is a Johnson controls battery so it is a good battery.

Amen, I still have the Walmart Deep Cycle as my stereo battery from my previous boat installed in our current boat! At that price and life, I could not justify buying an Optima. I do believe it is a sealed battery as well. I have yet to have to pop it open to fill.

Back