• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Our first boat!

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Howdy!
We just bought our first boat this week... a 2017 Yamaha SX195! We're super excited to get it cleaned up and out on the lakes and rivers around here! Please be ready for my questions and whatnot, because neither of us have ever owned a boat before.
Take care and have fun!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations!!

Have driven a boat before?

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Congratulations!!

Have driven a boat before?
Negative, sir. Ha! My first boat driving experience was test driving this bad boy! Luckily, the seller was super helpful in launching it and getting it back on the trailer after the test drive.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No worries I have been making aftermarket steering enhancements to help people with jet boats slow speed, high speed, wind ,waves and currents no problem since 2001 The innovator of patented model specific steering systems.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be sure to check out our faq section for lots of great tips on our boats, especially the "how the cooling water flows"

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Howdy!
We just bought our first boat this week... a 2017 Yamaha SX195! We're super excited to get it cleaned up and out on the lakes and rivers around here! Please be ready for my questions and whatnot, because neither of us have ever owned a boat before.
Take care and have fun!
Welcome aboard....... Dust of the credit cards, the time is coming :)

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Congratulations. Very exciting. And you have come to the right place for information and learning. I’m new this year as well and looking forward to an amazing Sumer. Sooooo much great stuff and so many great people on this forum . We look forward to hearing about your adventures.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please be ready for my questions and whatnot, because neither of us have ever owned a boat before.
I would recommend that you and anyone in your household or whom is going to operate the boat, take the Boater Safety course. Actually I would like to see anyone who is going to operate a boat take the course. It isn't hard. It is cheap and you will learn things and for some reinforce things that make it safer for you and everyone else on the water. I think it should be mandatory for everyone. I encounter a lot of people both younger and older whom have no clue on how to pilot a boat or pwc let alone the rules of the water and navigation. And probably have owned a boat and been on the water for quite some time.

I required everyone in my house take it as well as my daughters who live on their own and whom will be on the boat and I took it as also. You never know when there may be an issue and someone will need to take over. It is fully online and doesn't take a lot of time.

With all the rush to boat purchasing this past year, I can only imagine on how it is going to be on lakes when the boating season is in full swing. Especially with people tired of the pandemic.

Boating is not just about fun and ownership it is about safety for you, your crew and others on the water. My two cents on the topic.

In a lot of states it is the law and mandatory for those of certain ages. As an example for Michigan

"Any motorized boat operator born after June 30, 1996, is required by law to pass a boater safety course and to carry a boater education card. In addition, boater education is also required for all PWC operators born after December 31, 1978."

Boat Ed® | Official Boating License and Boater Safety Courses (boat-ed.com)

Last edited:

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I would recommend that you and anyone in your household or whom is going to operate the boat, take the Boater Safety course. Actually I would like to see anyone who is going to operate a boat take the course. It isn't hard. It is cheap and you will learn things and for some reinforce things that make it safer for you and everyone else on the water. I think it should be mandatory for everyone. I encounter a lot of people both younger and older whom have no clue on how to pilot a boat or pwc let alone the rules of the water and navigation. And probably have owned a boat and been on the water for quite some time.

I required everyone in my house take it as well as my daughters who live on their own and whom will be on the boat and I took it as also. You never know when there may be an issue and someone will need to take over. It is fully online and doesn't take a lot of time.

With all the rush to boat purchasing this past year, I can only imagine on how it is going to be on lakes when the boating season is in full swing. Especially with people tired of the pandemic.

Boating is not just about fun and ownership it is about safety for you, your crew and others on the water. My two cents on the topic.

I couldn't agree more with @HangOutdoors. Here in Canada we have The Canadian Power and Sail Squadron. They have excellent online (zoom & self study) courses spanning all areas of boating and sailing / safety / navigation. I would find the counterpart in the US , become a member, and sign up for some courses. There is so much to learn and so many people willing to share their experience and knowledge. (and for me, it has really helped the winter to speed by)

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Totally agree on the boater safety!
Also check out videos from boat buyer guide, titles like "top 10 annoying things new boaters do" or something along those lines.

My top advice: "never let other people pressure you around the launches and docks, and never drive around those areas faster than you're willing to hit it".

Everyone on this forum was a new boater, at some point. Welcome aboard!!

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Howdy!
Take care and have fun!
Welcome! We just bought our first jet boat this last month and we're in Chattanooga as well. Lots of great people on this forum, and I second (or third or fourth) the safety course. There's a free one here: BoatUS Online Training

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! That's great advice! I've signed up for and started the online course recommended by @Chatt_Jetsetter Thanks, man!

That's so cool that we're in the same city and picked up our boats within weeks of one another. Ha!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
:Welcome:to the forum. I had the 2015 SX-192. Loved it. Did a lot of mods, spent a lot of $$ on it and kept it for 3 years before upgrading. It's a great first boat. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions or need help spending (or saving) $$. We're good at both. Good luck, have fun and stay safe out there. My biggest advise is to take your time and try not to panic. Chances are we've all been there.

Oh yeah, please post pics. We love them.

boatman1975

REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Congrats and welcome aboard!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

In a lot of states it is the law and mandatory for those of certain ages. As an example for Michigan

"Any motorized boat operator born after June 30, 1996, is required by law to pass a boater safety course and to carry a boater education card. In addition, boater education is also required for all PWC operators born after December 31, 1978."

Required in VA.