• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Out door storage...

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2014 Yamaha 212x, what cover do you guys recommend for out side storage? Probably going to have the boat covered during the week on the side of the house and Un covered on the weekends as we use it. Would the black Mooring cover hold up? We bought the boat used last year and it had the original factory black mooring cover except it was destroyed. I am pretty confident the previous owner had it outside in a storage yard for the last 5 years, and if I can get 5 years out of the factory black mooring cover than I’m happy with that.

we live in Az so the sun is no joke...

Thoughts? Thanks for all the input guys & gals.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How long the cover will last really depends upon the inensity of the sun exposure it receives. In Havasu, unless it is in the shade, I'd expect 2-3 years tops before you find the cover to be disintegrating.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Would the Morring cover be the best option?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree with @OrangeTJ 2-3 yrs for any cover outside especially in sun drentched states like AZ, CA, FL etc. We bought our 18 SX195 last Oct and the owner had a gray Yamaha mooring cover on it and it was toast....I have the black mooring cover, it appears to be put together very well and there are preventive measures to help it after its first year, I would suggest using a 303 product, but I don't know one that specifically treats fabric for UV protection but STARBRITE has one that fits the bill. If you don't live in a strict HOA community you may want to consider a canopy for the summer along with a boat cover.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Be careful with that 303. There was a thread on here where it destroyed a guys cover.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be careful with that 303. There was a thread on here where it destroyed a guys cover.
That’s right. The 303AP can, apparently, speed up deterioration of covers and fabric biminis. I have personally never seen or experience it but it has been talked about.

they sell a fabric protectant, and a cleaner - separate and distinct formulas.

Personally, I have never used any but the 303AP. I do not believe it will harm a new or new-ish cover, but it won’t waterproof it either. Will it protect it from UV deterioration? - opinions vary. I spoke with an old timer ultralight aircraft pilot who told me the 303AP protected fabric on his wings for over 20 years.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would the Morring cover be the best option?
Yes, but it will deteriorate in the sun. A light weight large tarp on top of the mooring cover may be the best option, in dry climate.
I would also make sure the bow is up and transom drain plug out - in case of heavy rain.

--

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Big silver tarp bungeed to the trailer over fitted cover. This is how I summer my previous IO and will with the new Yamaha.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely going to do a carport type cover on the side of the house, it’s just going to be a couple years as it is low on the priority list for home projects. Thanks for all the replies and comments guys, looks like the black mooring cover is it, now to try and find one on sale...

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a reg cover on amazon for my ar240. I just told the tower down and put the cover over it. $130