• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"Out the door price"? or not

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 2014 SX240 for over $50k for what I was told was an OTD price. This included $150 for "license fees". Yesterday I got a call saying my registration and plates were in but that I owed an additional $40 since the state had charged them $190.

My salesman is on vacation but I talked to the finance manager who said this was normal since they had no control over what the state charged for these services. I got a bit irritated since I felt I actually had an OTD price which should have included this amount whether it was above or below the $150 listed on the "deal summary".

What do you think? Is this normal procedure? Does an OTD price really not mean OTD in this instance"

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Typically a dealer will eat any extra fees that are found after the sale has been closed, unless they are on a short deal (small margins). In those cases I think sometimes they feel like they did not make enough money on the deal so they will then let that fact influence their decision making. It is not right to tell someone this is what you owe, and then later come back and demand more.

I have made mistakes before, and when I have I them approach the customer and let them know that it was a mistake. I will ask them to pay but with the understanding that they are not obligated to pay. It them is the decision of the customer to pay in order to help me out or not pay. I have had customers pay, being understanding that mistakes happen. I have had others that say "tough, you should not have made that mistake."

It's all in how you approach the situation.

On a side note, many dealers that I have worked for charged more than the state needed as a policy. Then when the tag/title work was done, they issued a refund to the customer. It is much easier to send money back than it is to ask for more.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, if you are planning on buying a boat at Sun Sports Cycle and Watercraft in Ft. Myers, good luck. After my conversation with the finance manager this morning I called the sales manager to see about the problem but had to leave a message around 11:30 AM but now it's night and still no call back. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since after I bought the boat my salesman didn't return my call for 5 days because he was too "busy". How do these people even hold a job?

It's a shame that they don't understand that while they may get their $40 they will lose much more in the process. Of course I won't ever buy another boat there or spend a nickel in their shop and I will discourage anyone else from doing so. On top of that, I still have the survey to return to Yamaha concerning my "dealer experience" plus normally I write reviews on Google, Yelp, Angie's List, and other sites, either praising or criticizing the places I buy from. It's hard to believe that they don't grasp the "big picture".

I'll make one final effort tomorrow and try to contact the owner to see if he cares anything about keeping his customers happy, but I'm not holding out much hope.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
SunSports is one of my dealers. Would you like for me to call them and see if I can help you in any way? Let me know who I need to talk to if so.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SunSports is one of my dealers. Would you like for me to call them and see if I can help you in any way? Let me know who I need to talk to if so.
@JetBoatPilot
Thanks for the offer to help--I actually had the thrust vectors installed by the dealership before I picked up the boat. If you don't mind giving a call that would be great. As you may have guessed, it really isn't the $40 I'm worried about, it's the fact that I consider we made a deal and now that has been broken. If they happen to have any papers I signed indicating that the price of the registration could go up then that would change everything--however, the finance manager didn't mention that yesterday so I doubt it happened. Also, the abrasive attitude of the finance manager and the lack of a return call after 24 hours from the sales manager rub me the wrong way.

Having owned my own business for many years I know that sometimes these things are not known by the owner of the business so I think he would be the only one to talk to. If he doesn't know how these guys are hurting his reputation maybe he should know. Of course there is also the possibilty that he knows and just doesn't care. In any case, I think he would be the logical one to talk to since he advertises the following on his website: Sun Sports Cycle & Watercraft, Inc. puts the customer first with Iain Johnstone owner on premise to direct or personally take care of your needs.

I'll PM you the information if you want to give him a call.

Thanks again...

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can call them, thanks. I will get back with you.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@xoomer Called and spoke to my contact there. He is on it and will be escalating the issue to the powers that be. I can't do a lot more but at least wanted to see if there was some sort of miscommunication. Keep me posted.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@xoomer Called and spoke to my contact there. He is on it and will be escalating the issue to the powers that be. I can't do a lot more but at least wanted to see if there was some sort of miscommunication. Keep me posted.
@JetBoatPilot Okay, thanks a lot. I'll report back when I have some definite news.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OTD means differently in different states. For example, when I purchase a car or inquire about a boat in Texas. OTD means everything is included. That is the final price that I'll pay out of the door. They collect the fees and taxes and pay it to the state on your behalf. But when calling to Oklahoma for my boat, OTD means everything except for Tittle, Tax, and whatever the state charges. They, for some reason do not collect those taxes and fees for the state. I talked to 2 different dealers and they told me the same thing. It thought they do not collect those because I am buying from out of state. But the salesman told me, they do not collect those regardless of who buys them. I'm not 100% on this, just stating what I've heard.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My sister and bro-in-law bought a brand new Sanger a few years back from a California and had it shipped to them in Texas. They did not charge, nor did the collect Texas state sales tax or registration fees. And the money they saved buying there, was just about eaten up with the shipping and added taxes/registration that they had to pay in Texas when they registered and licensed the boat. Whether you pay there, you will have to pay here. I guess there are loopholes to get around taxes in some states, but not in Texas I don't believe.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I lived in Texas most of my life and know that there, at least, when you say "out the door" you mean that is the absolute bottom line. In this case, in Florida, the dealership did collect from me over $3,000 in sales tax, almost $200 in document fees, and $150 in license fees, so it's not a matter of them not collecting the fees, it's a matter of them not collecting the correct amount of license fees--according to them. I don't think it was a mistake, I think it is just the way they do business.

It the problem had been handled differently when I called--with a bit of concern about what I was saying and an attempt to find a solution--I probably would have just blown off the whole thing but I was faced with a confrontational attitude from the finance manger, and the sales manager still hasn't even bothered to return my call after 26 hours. I expected a bit more after spending over $50,000 in their store.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot Well, I got a call from Ralph, the general manager, and he tried to patch things up. He said he understood what had me upset but that they don't have the software installed yet to figure out exactly what the license fees would be so they just use $150 as an approximation and they usually come within +/- $10. He said it is in the contract that the fees could vary but that it was hidden in the fine print and they should have done a better job of explaining the process. He also said he wanted to keep me as a customer so he was going to waive the additional $40. So, as far as I'm concerned my "crisis" is over and I can get back to enjoying my boat.

Big thanks to JetBoatPilot--I'm guessing that your call influenced the outcome.

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to hear that is taken care of. I'm picking up mine tomorrow and hopefully no surprises.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to hear that is taken care of. I'm picking up mine tomorrow and hopefully no surprises.
Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the new boat :)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm glad it was resolved. There is nothing worse than feeling like someone doesn't appreciate your business (which is why we NEVER shop at Wal-mart, but that is a different story altogether).

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not great business to balk over forty dollars on a 50k sale. Glad they figured it out with a little help from JBP.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it's my business, I waive $40 on a 50k sale (0.08%). Even if I'm the salesperson, I think I'd give you the $40 to clear up any misunderstanding. I think they call it customer service and @xoomer said it best that they loose more in future business than that. One service appointment and the difference is made up.

It also helps to have forum members that look out for you like @JetBoatPilot .

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad to hear. My contact there was very glad to hear that we called to bring the situation to their attention. Hopefully they have a talk with.their guys after this and encourage them to be more attentive to the customers concerns in a more timely manner.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@xoomer Just another testimonial on how much this forum and the community is here to help others! Glad you got it all worked out and a new relationship can prosper.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@xoomer Just another testimonial on how much this forum and the community is here to help others! Glad you got it all worked out and a new relationship can prosper.
@GiddYupJoe Yes indeed, the forum was a great help in this matter not only for me but also for the boat dealership.:)