• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outboard engine on a jet boat?

Melissa Watson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
I moved a few years ago, and now the lake I boat on is filled with hydrilla. Unfortunately, with twin inboard motors, I am CONSTANTLY having to stop and clear them out. I LOVE my boat, it's a 1997 Yamaha Exciter, but it's becoming a nuisance. And now practically impossible to pull a skier, tube or wakeboard. If they fall in the weeds it's a problem. I was hoping to get some feedback on putting an outboard motor on the boat so we can enjoy the lake. Thoughts?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sell the boat and by an outboard boat if your lake is full of weeds. I don't see how attaching an outboard makes any sense.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I moved a few years ago, and now the lake I boat on is filled with hydrilla. Unfortunately, with twin inboard motors, I am CONSTANTLY having to stop and clear them out. I LOVE my boat, it's a 1997 Yamaha Exciter, but it's becoming a nuisance. And now practically impossible to pull a skier, tube or wakeboard. If they fall in the weeds it's a problem. I was hoping to get some feedback on putting an outboard motor on the boat so we can enjoy the lake. Thoughts?
Unfortunately it is not doable. You would need a completely different transom design/architecture to support it :sorry:.

Melissa Watson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Sadly, I've come to that conclusion. Thoughts on a trolling motor on the bow?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...banks of trolling batteries and charging them could become... a wet blanket.
If you can find an older ski boat with an outboard... I know, its going to be hard to find one with a tower, but maybe a pylon would do.

Melissa Watson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
How well do boats with an I/O engine work in a weedy lake?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Several members have added trolling motors for fishing. That should be fine, you could even mount it at the stern.

If I had an Exciter and wanted to use it in the weeds I think I would try installing a metal mesh under the factory intake grates before resorting to a trolling motor. It is important that the mesh not get sucked into the jets. It will decrease flow, efficiency and top speed but if it keeps the weeds out and lets you enjoy boating it may be worthwhile. I believe I would get pieces of mesh that are larger than the intake and secure them with screws through the hull. I would predrill the screw holes and fill them with silicone before installing the screws.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Melissa Watson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
It's a huge lake, and carp can be very invasive. As bad as the hydrilla. I even think you need a permit to introduce them to a waterway. I'll skip that. Looking at used outboard boats now as an option.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
LMAO --- yeah I was totally joking on that! Heck they even mention introducing a few sea manatees to eat the foliage or harvesting it for salads.

I think I'd try the screen and then the outboard - imho

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know that I would try the screen. Seems like, in addition to the cavitation potential, it will make it more likely that the hydrilla gets clogged on the screen. That will pull more on the screen and make it more likely to break the screen loose and suck it into the jets. Then you have real problems.

If you do try it, I would make it more of another grate than a screen. Like bar grating or something.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How well do boats with an I/O engine work in a weedy lake?
They will do fine. Weeds can get wrapped around the prop but I have yet to ever have this happen usually just rips the weeds to shreds. If I was in an area of excessive debris I would go with a outboard or and I/O. An outboard maybe even better because you can trim it higher if needed.

Justin Gratton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you have the time, facility and outboard already it’s doable. I was given a sugar sand boat with a blown motor and had an outboard already. Took months and some money but here was the outcome.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LoW2fBpQRzWLPVsaHMI51NWz33y42My2

But I will agree with the rest. Easier to buy an outboard boat. But the project was fun.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have seen it done with SeaDoos..The Club Med in Cancun Mexico had 2 converted boats 3 years ago. In the US it won't be cost effective. it will be cheaper to get more cash from your working boat, then buy something else.

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My lake has seaweeds and I'm pulling them out everytime I get in and out of my marina ( it's at the shallow end of the lake)

Definitely NOT getting another boat but I thought about a trolling motor, tbh I'd rather not carry a battery back and forth from my marina to charge it.

So instead I bought a 6hp 212cc predator go kart engine brand new for $120
It weights only 40lbs and people have made longtail outboards out of them (mudskipper kit) I'm going to try to make my own design and make a mount on my bow so that I can store the outboard when I'm not using it and easily attach it to the bow when I'm in the weeds

Give me till july and it'll be finished

Joatmon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Better off getting an airplane engine from an air boat. Should fit between the back seats. Or maybe mount a GE9X turbofan. They cost around $41M, but will certainly push the boat you through the weeds without having to clear out the drive. Maybe tricky finding jet fuel.

Seriously, I have thought about replacing the jet pumps with surface drives. Just need a few mods and a gearbox for reverse.

That was fun. Time for my morning coffee and medication.