• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outboard Jet Grease Issues

BC99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Im new to jet boats and have started on a bumpy road. I was able to get my hands on a new Tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke and heard they are fantastic motors.

The guy who sold it to me told me to make sure I grease the bearing after every use. I got a grease gun and did just that. Then reading more into it, I saw a lot of people saying I shouldn't be using a regular grease gun, but a special low pressure style instead. I bought one of those and had no luck getting it to push through the Zerk fitting (tried everything). I took the fitting right out and seems like the fitting itself requires more pressure than the low pressure gun can provide to push through the little ball bearing inside the Zerk fitting. Grease just shot out all around the fitting instead. Since this didnt work. I continued to use the regular grease gun while breaking in the motor but am scared the seal might already be shot. A couple times before last, I greased it and got a table spoon of water out the tube. After my last run, I put about 8 pumps of grease into it and didn’t get anything coming out the tube.

Is it safe to say the bearing seal is shot (even if the motor only has 9 hours on it)? How hard is it to replace? Do I need a new one or is there any way to re set this one to get me through my next trip with it?
I obviously have no idea whats involved and any insight or instruction how to check/fix would be much appreciated!

Did some digging and apparently the jet isnt an Outboard Jet model, some janky Chinese one unfortunately.

(located in lower mainland, BC)