• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outfitting a larger trailer for a Yamaha - anyone done it?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have an opportunity to purchase a Float-On aluminum trailer for $850. However, it is much larger and heavier duty than my current galvanized EZ Loader for my 2008 232 Limited. It is about 7’ longer, larger wheels, and has 6000lb torsion axles. This is not the typical aluminum trailer I’ve seen and it alone weighs 1000lbs according to the build plate and can support 10,000lbs. It previously was used for a 25ish’ fishing boat that sank in a storm.

In my estimation, this trailer is worth at least $2500 and my current trailer is in need of work (brakes, fenders, lights, and probably an axle or two soon). However, I’m not sure my boat will reasonably fit on it. The rear cross member is not angled like my current trailer, it only has two bunks, and the bow roller support is not adjustable for a shorter boat.

I’m thinking of adding two more bunks to support the bow, raising the rear bunks to decrease possibility of hitting the trailer with the keel, and moving the boat forward on the trailer. My concerns are that there will be too much tongue weight and it will be hard to launch/recover in the shallow ramps I use. Aside from cost and frustration.

Has anyone done this sort of thing? Does it make sense or am I just better off buying a new trailer? The other issue is this doesn’t have a swing away tongue so will take up a lot more room in the driveway. Buying it to sell to fund a new trailer is not an option due to a family friend type deal.

E6624912-7F38-4AAF-A6AC-1EED295505AE.jpeg90C8F0E7-CEC8-426C-BAA6-7AEAB3FB3587.jpeg923B5495-E639-4EC8-AEFB-CFAC5100DA2D.jpeg1AEC3CD4-A3AB-48DC-86A9-E28DDDCBAA68.jpeg6AA858A0-E745-4A5D-9F82-67E06BDFA945.jpeg60544F73-74E8-4069-B16D-D73A1A84C472.jpeg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A couple thoughts...

An aluminum trailer for pu 23 footers is over 1k pounds off the bat. That has to way at least 1500 on its own, or is lighter duty than you think.

Not sure what your tow vehicle is, but the longer the trailer is, the more it's gonna be a bitch to tow it.

Outside of that, it looks like a lot of work to build risers and bunks to fit your boat. Plus who knows what that trailer needs as well. I'd just fix your existing trailer.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The numbers came from the build plate on the trailer, it’s quite possible it does weigh more than 1000lbs and is just labeled that to skirt regulations (brakes on all axles, etc.).

I drive an F150 Ecoboost 3.5L so towing this boat on that trailer shouldn’t be an issue but good question as I don’t think I’d attempt it with anything smaller.

Your comments are kinda where I’m at; it’s just hard to beat this deal and I wanted an aluminum one anyway.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The way the aluminum trailer is built your boat may sit higher while on the trailer. Aside from that I see no issue with using it for your 232. Just do a LOT of measuring for the bunks and hull, place the bunks in the appropriate spots and you should be good.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The way the aluminum trailer is built your boat may sit higher while on the trailer. Aside from that I see no issue with using it for your 232. Just do a LOT of measuring for the bunks and hull, place the bunks in the appropriate spots and you should be good.
My father in law has a lot more experience with boats and said the same thing. The boat that was on this trailer had a much deeper V than mine and didn’t hit the crossmember. The bunks are actually mounted narrower in the back than my existing boat so you both may be right.

That said, my boat is too short to hit the bow roller so I would have to move it forward some. I’m not sure if that will require additional bunks but I’m assuming so.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd install bunks identical to what's on your existing trailer. That will give you the best support of the boat and you've already got the measurements. You will have to adjust the bow stop with the tongue weight of the trailer and how it feel on the tow vehicle. Other than that it shouldn't be much more than checking it over. Wheel bearings, tires, brakes wiring & lights.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will beat the hell out of your boat!
How do you figure? I've pulled many of trailers and the ones with torsion axles don't bounce near as much as a leaf spring trailer. I'd love to have torsion axles on my boat trailer.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The boat will not
How do you figure? I've pulled many of trailers and the ones with torsion axles don't bounce near as much as a leaf spring trailer. I'd love to have torsion axles on my boat trailer.
Torsion axle or spring it will ride rough if not sized properly for the load. That is why trailer are not all made with the same rated springs. The boat will not be heavy enough to allow the suspension to work properly. Compare it to riding in a unloaded large dually truck. Too heavy of suspension with no load = HARSH Ride. working in a boatyard half my life, I have seen damage caused by too heavily sprung trailers.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With leaf springs yes, with torsion axles it’s different. All of them I’ve pulled loaded or not don’t bounce or rattle around near as much as a leaf spring suspension loaded or not. The torsion axles are more forgiving when it comes to a lighter load on a heavier trailer.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
With leaf springs yes, with torsion axles it’s different. All of them I’ve pulled loaded or not don’t bounce or rattle around near as much as a leaf spring suspension loaded or not. The torsion axles are more forgiving when it comes to a lighter load on a heavier trailer.
Best of luck!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’m in Calvert. We launch in Benedict or St. Leonard. I don’t think I’ve seen your boat around.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m in Calvert. We launch in Benedict or St. Leonard. I don’t think I’ve seen your boat around.
Used to live on St. Leonards Creek years ago. I sometimes launch at Benedict. But usually launch on base at Pax or Calvert under the bridge. Also hit the Potomac often. We need to have a Yamaha jetboat get together on the Patuxent!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Used to live on St. Leonards Creek years ago. I sometimes launch at Benedict. But usually launch on base at Pax or Calvert under the bridge. Also hit the Potomac often. We need to have a Yamaha jetboat get together on the Patuxent!
For sure. I see Yamahas around sometimes but haven’t run across any of them on the forum.