• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overfilled oil in 210 FSH

ForrestM

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So apparently I was not as level as I thought when I added a little oil after an oil change and I overfilled. Both engines started fine and I'd only gone about 100 yards or so just a little above idle when I looked back and noticed one engine smoking pretty bad. I shut if off right away. I used the other engine to very slowly get to a quiet slough to check on things. It was indeed overfilled. What do I need to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm assuming siphon excess oil out, clean and possibly replace sparkplugs and replace air filter.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just remove the excess oil Yamaha has the vent hose going into the air hose in front of the throttle body on those so no issues with the air filter but the mr1 engines had the breather in the air box and this would have ruined the filter on those . When I do an oil change I have a level on top of the engine so I know it is ok and I leave the oil level 1/2 way down from the full line so it is not overfilled . Once you get the oil where it belongs JUST BELOW THE FULL MARK you will probably be ok .

ForrestM

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just remove the excess oil Yamaha has the vent hose going into the air hose in front of the throttle body on those so no issues with the air filter but the mr1 engines had the breather in the air box and this would have ruined the filter on those . When I do an oil change I have a level on top of the engine so I know it is ok and I leave the oil level 1/2 way down from the full line so it is not overfilled . Once you get the oil where it belongs JUST BELOW THE FULL MARK you will probably be ok .
Thank you! I hope it's that simple.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also when you remove oil place it in a calibrated container like a 1 gallon plastic oil container, so you know exactly how much you took out. When you go to the water the first time after changing the oil bring some oil with you and with the boat in the water start it up for a few seconds, then check the level on the stick and add the remaining oil to get it just below the full mark I also have a big plastic turkey baster syringe with a hose on the end that fits down the dip stick tube so if for some reason If you need to remove any oil you can.

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I find those engines difficult to achieve an accurate oil level reading. I run, rest, level engine and read dip-stick; extract the oil and measure quantity. I have seen dip-stick read at mid-level when engine was actually 1/2 quart high.
This was observed during last oil changed; oil was at dip-stick low line both engines. Added 1/2 quart and ran engine, rested and checked oil level to mid point dip-stick. extracted oil and measured 4.2 quarts; max fill is 3.59 quarts w/filter.
The manual states to fill the engine oil at "two filler holes". Not sure why there are two filler holes and why one filler hole is not sufficient.; are they not common?

I have noticed that oil extraction techniques cause quantities to vary and the dip-stick is an poor measuring device to read.
Laying the dip-stick across a flat paper towel helps interpret the oil level mark and oil extraction requires patience and a little skill.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a few years of doing oil changes and as always I develop ways to accomplish it my way. And it works , get a small level to set on top of the engine and adjust the boat so the level is ever so slightly aimed forward and the remove the oil fill cap. I NEVER RUN THE ENGINE BEFORE DOING THE OIL CHANGE I just let the engine sit with a very slight angle and the cap removed. I use an electric injection high volume fuel pump. and I run the tube down the dip stick hole , get the most oil I can and have it being run into a plastic oil container, go back in a few minutes and repeat this process until I have no more oil coming out and am over 3.5 quarts, place a thick rag under the oil filter and remove that place metal tape around the filter at it's base where it is crimped and then install the filter. Then refill the amount of oil I removed from the engine and a tad more for the filter. then when I go to the water I run the engine and check the oil and add a small amount if I need more or remove some if I have too much. then after a while I recheck it and forget aboutit.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So apparently I was not as level as I thought when I added a little oil after an oil change and I overfilled. Both engines started fine and I'd only gone about 100 yards or so just a little above idle when I looked back and noticed one engine smoking pretty bad. I shut if off right away. I used the other engine to very slowly get to a quiet slough to check on things. It was indeed overfilled. What do I need to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm assuming siphon excess oil out, clean and possibly replace sparkplugs and replace air filter.
Since the oil was "injected" into the induction system upstream of the ribbon (flame arrestor), I'm curious if the oil fouled your ribbon and restricted the airflow into the engine.
Were you able to get 8,000 rpm out of both engines?
Are you still able to get 8,000 rpm out of both engines?

ForrestM

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since the oil was "injected" into the induction system upstream of the ribbon (flame arrestor), I'm curious if the oil fouled your ribbon and restricted the airflow into the engine.
Were you able to get 8,000 rpm out of both engines?
Are you still able to get 8,000 rpm out of both engines?
I haven't had a chance to fool with it yet so I don't know. I shut it down as soon as I realized what was going on.