• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overhead flat screen TV mount

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m sure many have faced the Football on TV or boating conundrum. I found myself in that position last Sunday, and got to work on bringing the two together.

We had a few small flat screen TVs sitting around the house that we don’t use anymore (first world problems) and I noticed that luckily one of them, an Element 20” was 12v at the tv, which I knew would make the job easy:
I was able to find a cord that had a cigarette lighter adapter with a round plug that fit the TV, it happened to be the 12V charger cord from my marine radio. So last weekend we hooked up an over the air antenna, loaded it on the boat for a trial, and it worked! Was able to watch the Browns win with friends and family on the lake:
With the concept proven, I worked this weekend on fabricating an overhead mount for the tv, just did a test fit and am pretty happy with it:
Still need to finish the cable management, but I powered it up and it works great.
The mounting plate is 3/16 aluminum painted in a textured black. It mounts to the Bimini frame with u-bolts and sex-nuts. U-bolts were heat shrink wrapped to protect the frame.
The mount is a monoprice under-counter flat screen mount designed for use in RVs and yachts, it’s light but stout, and has a strong latch to stow the tv out of the way.
Power and audio cables run down the tower and connect to the Helm 12V socket and audio input.
If we get another good day this year I’ll do an update and pictures with the top on and on the water.

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You and @swatski shojld take that boat to Bimini in 2020. And if you do that, I promise to have a GoPro on a gyroscope pointing your way the whole time.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You sir are a God. This is awesome. Takes boating to a new level

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You and @swatski shojld take that boat to Bimini in 2020. And if you do that, I promise to have a GoPro on a gyroscope pointing your way the whole time.
Ha! I read about swatski’s “falling out”; There are many things I’d like in my lap but a wake tower is not one of them!

This rig is for calm days and coving, not the big water. We run Lake Erie often with its bone-jarring 3’ chop and I assure you this beauty will be safely on a shelf in the garage.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was watching football with a 12v tv on the boat back in the 80’s. It was good for tailgating at football games too.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got a decent football Sunday to try out the rig. Works great! It’s low 60s here but sunny, so we put up the front curtains. Now that I have this sorted out, hopefully the browns can get their offense sorted out!

Sweinberger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I like it. Where did you find the cord or was it one specific to the tv? it looks like you just used ubolts to secure the plate for the swivel mount. The rain\wind shield you are using.. Was that aftermarket? That is something I definitely need to pick up.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Sweinberger since the tv is direct 12v in, I just found a cord that had a DC coax plug the same size as the tv, and cigarette lighter style on the other end. The one I’m using happens to be from my marine radio charger. Since that cord is only 36”, I have a 10’ extender I purchased on amazon. That and a 3.5mm cord that plugs into the tv route down and plug in next to the helm.

The front curtain is something I DIY’d, made that a few weeks ago and just finished up aft curtains this week for a full camper enclosure. Even the front curtain really helps. No wind at all in the boat at speed. I see you have an LSE also, the top on our boats made this really easy and I had it planned before I even took delivery of the boat. I’m going to do a post on the enclosure in the next couple of days when I can get some better photos.

I took these photos at Alum today, in your neck of the woods. Was a great day to be out, warmer than I thought and nice and quiet.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m all in, would love to watch the Buckeyes on the boat, but with their schedule it hasn’t worked out. There’s always next year!