• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Patch trailer tire?

jtink

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have. Slow leak in one of my tires, usually have to put air in it before we go out and it’s good for the day.

Today I soap the tire and found a small nail.
Would you use a plug kit on it?

Tire pressure, it states that tire pressure should not exceed 32PSI
Then stayed should not exceed 50 PSI

What pressure are you guys running on your stock tires.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go have the tire patched on the inside. Far better than a plug. I run 5 psi below max. . Your towing mpg will go waaaay up too!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’m not a tire expert but for a trailer tire it may wise to just buy a new tire.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what i use and only recommend

41XzRyHv50L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Plugs are very common and totally safe. That being said, don't sue me if it blows and rolls your boat into a ditch.

Many of the nasty rumors about the safety of a plugged tire came of an idiot that plugged a sidewall, or a tire salesman. If done properly, the vulcanization process creates a surface nearly as strong as the tire itself.

And agree to the above recommendation. Inflate your trailer tires to within 5lbs of max inflation. The biggest cause of odd tire wear is running them on too low of pressure.

Good luck!

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Neutron what the hell is that?

Trailer tires should be run at max cold psi. My tires say 50psi, I have 50psi in them. https://www.boatingmag.com/properly-inflating-boat-trailer-tires

I won't admit how many plugs are in my trailer tires. You guys will flame me to death. The boat trailer tires are like nail magnets. I'm guessing the truck kicks the nails up and the trailer catches them. If I had to buy a new tire every time a tire salesman told me it's not safe and I need a new tire I would be broke. All the plugs are in the tread, not in the sidewall.
My truck tire got a nail the second week I had it. I was out of town and plugged it myself in a gas station parking lot with intention of taking it in to get patched. Well that never happened and I put 40,000 miles on that set of tires. My lawyer says I'm not allowed to recommend this, but it happened and I lived to tell about it.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Neutron what the hell is that?

Trailer tires should be run at max cold psi. My tires say 50psi, I have 50psi in them. https://www.boatingmag.com/properly-inflating-boat-trailer-tires

I won't admit how many plugs are in my trailer tires. You guys will flame me to death. The boat trailer tires are like nail magnets. I'm guessing the truck kicks the nails up and the trailer catches them. If I had to buy a new tire every time a tire salesman told me it's not safe and I need a new tire I would be broke. All the plugs are in the tread, not in the sidewall.
My truck tire got a nail the second week I had it. I was out of town and plugged it myself in a gas station parking lot with intention of taking it in to get patched. Well that never happened and I put 40,000 miles on that set of tires. My lawyer says I'm not allowed to recommend this, but it happened and I lived to tell about it.
Thats a patch/plug. Installed from inside with center pulled through the hole

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ha those look like street bike tire plugs I’ve used before. There awesome!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have stopped being amazed (as I have used them so often) at how well the sticky string type plugs work. As a SXS owner, you always carry a tire fix kit as a puncture is highly likely. I have used it twice on a rear motorcycle tire and twice on my wife's SUV. (ironically, never on the SXS)

She used to refuse to stop driving a gravel backroad to work, and it was known for nails. I flat out refused to replace a full set of tires for a nail hole on good tires. The tire shops flat out refuse to replace one tire on an AWD car. I understand the theory, but decorum here does not allow me to share the profanity that explains me throwing up in my mouth over $900 in tires over one nail. So when you have three stubborn minds, you go the el cheapo route.

Bet your butt I used the sticky strings on her tires twice with no ill effect at all.

Last edited: