• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

People often talk about waxes - photos 1 year old wax and just done

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Either October or November 2018, I polished and waxed my 2017 FSH 190 with Griot's One-Step (a light polish and synthetic wax). I applied it with a random orbital buffer, and then I hand wiped it off. I used a Griot's 6 inch buffer (6mm throw) and a Griot's orange correcting pad (med-soft pad). It took about 2.5 hours to do the hull below the rub rail. In between, I have only washed the boat after each outing with standard wash and wax soap (Meguiar's and Griot's), and prior to washing the hull I spray it down with an anti-salt solution (use it to flush the engine) using a garden mixer/sprayer on the end of the water hose. The boat is used exclusively in salt water.

Today, I polished and waxed it using my Flex 3401 buffer (6mm throw with forced pad rotation) with the same Griot's One-Step and Orange pad. With the Flex, I was able to do it in 2 hours. Although I removed water spots and some superficial scratches, I was not trying to correct the gel coat. If I want to remove any remaining light scratches, I will use a compound followed by the One-Step.

The point of the post is that last year's polish/wax held up (beads water, still looks good) without any additional products - no detailers, spray on wax refresh and etc. The boat sits in a partially covered (has a small roof directly above) open rack without a boat cover. Although I believe that Griot's products are superior to many others, the application with a random orbital buffer greatly increases the longevity of any waxing - achieves a much better bond.

I hope you are having similar results with whatever you are using.

Attachments

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Nice gloss and depth. Blue is such a pretty color when cared for properly like you have. With my vehicles I've used ceramic coating for the last 6 years and wouldn't use anything else, but a boat is a lot of surface area to coat and it seems the marine specific coatings are still emerging. So, I'm going to try Mother's synthetic marine wax applied 2 or 3 times a year. I'm curious to see if the synthetic wax will hold up to acid used to remove water spots.....probably not but I can hope.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Griot's One-Step is their Poly Wax (synthetic wax with a fine polish added to it); your choice of Mother's synthetic should also hold up well.
If you apply it with a buffer (just using a waxing pad), it will help. Also, you could try to use a detailer to remove non-bonded water spots; the detailer will not harm your wax.

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought a blue 2017 ar240 this year, thinking of buying the one step with orbital on Amazon. It comes with the orange pad, is that too aggressive of a pad? Also what Kind of pad do I use to remove after the haze. Btw my boat isn’t overly scratched up, maybe just a little dull. Thanks

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, forgot to ask do I need to wash with dawn to start out or just car wash soap?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not know which RO Buffer you intend to buy; I would suggest buying a good one for about $150 (Griot's Garage G9) versus trying to save a little money. As to the orange pad - each company has their own color system; a Griot's orange pad (you will need a couple or have to clean it as you go) would be a good choice. You can wash it with whatever you want, the One Step will remove the old wax.

FWIW, Autogeek.net is always having sales - probably cheaper than Amazon.

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not know which RO Buffer you intend to buy; I would suggest buying a good one for about $150 (Griot's Garage G9) versus trying to save a little money. As to the orange pad - each company has their own color system; a Griot's orange pad (you will need a couple or have to clean it as you go) would be a good choice. You can wash it with whatever you want, the One Step will remove the old wax.

Thanks

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mike Phillips is the man. I spend hours watching his videos

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am exited to use the new buffer,I bought the griots g9 and the one step. Just been busy winterizing things.