• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Perfect Pass "black cloud" on the display

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my perfect pass!

Unfortunately this year when I initially start the boat and the unit powers up it has a "black cloud" over a portion of the screen making it extremely difficult to read, especially in sunlight. Many times I leave the unit in this mode just to use the speedometer.
LCD bad.jpg

If I turn the unit "on" the black cloud goes away and the screen looks normal and easy to read. I can turn the unit back "off"( but still powered on) and the screen still stays in the easy to read format so I can use the speedometer.

LCD good.jpg

A year ago I did have some interference from a power cord that caused the words to be cut in half and display them top and bottom like bad reception on an old TV. I moved all the wires around behind the helm but it didn't seem to make a difference with this issue.

I have an email into Perfect Pass but just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you installed any new electronic equipment, maybe stereo equipment @Scottintexas? The strong speaker magnets may put inductance into your perfect pass wires running to the engines.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my perfect pass!

Unfortunately this year when I initially start the boat and the unit powers up it has a "black cloud" over a portion of the screen making it extremely difficult to read, especially in sunlight. Many times I leave the unit in this mode just to use the speedometer.
View attachment 37601

If I turn the unit "on" the black cloud goes away and the screen looks normal and easy to read. I can turn the unit back "off"( but still powered on) and the screen still stays in the easy to read format so I can use the speedometer.

View attachment 37602

A year ago I did have some interference from a power cord that caused the words to be cut in half and display them top and bottom like bad reception on an old TV. I moved all the wires around behind the helm but it didn't seem to make a difference with this issue.

I have an email into Perfect Pass but just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
That is a bummer. I love that speedo working with the "system off".
Please keep us posted what do PP say.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no new electronics or upgrades,

I emailed PP tech support this morning with pictures and they replied within in an hour,
"
"That is a bit strange. It just looks like the contrast is set to high, but I would suspect you would see that in both screens. First thing to try though is reduce the contrast setting."

The contrast setting was on 5, I changed it down to 2 and the black cloud went away. I increased back up to 3 and 4 and the black cloud slowly moved up and covered more of the screen with each increment.

I'll try it on 2 out on the water but at $1K I'm not going to be happy if my choice is low contrast, having to turn it on and off each time I cycle the engine or I have to pay $250 for a new display,

If PP tells me anything else I'll post it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm surprised they wouldn't send you a new display. Did you ask? There is definitely something amiss with that display. Warranty or no warranty they should replace it.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm surprised they wouldn't send you a new display. Did you ask? There is definitely something amiss with that display. Warranty or no warranty they should replace it.
I love my PP too, but their warranty is only 12 months. I've had a servo motor go out and I don't recall how much it was, but it was more than I thought it should be. Last year I had a problem that it took forever for GPS to lock. Sometimes I would have to cut off and on and wait and wait and wait. When someone is in the water waiting to go, it was super annoying. I contacted them and they said I needed a new GPS antenna that there is a battery in there the runs down...or some such. Bottom line it was $199 regardless of me expressing my displeasure at the price. Granted I've had my unit for a number of years, but I feel like $199 for that part is excessive and a poor design if it includes a battery that essentially cost $199 to replace.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I received my reply from PP today,

///////////////////////////
Hi,

I would say the LCD is just getting a bit old and acting up. The only option would be to replace it. The cost is $229 US plus $30 US for a software updater to run the new LCD.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How old is your PP? Mine has been installed since 2011 and I don't have any issues... yet. I'm not thrilled about the idea of having to spend $300 to renew my electronics after a couple hundred hours. This shouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't expect to spend that kind of money to keep a product that was that costly working.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I received my reply from PP today,

///////////////////////////
Hi,

I would say the LCD is just getting a bit old and acting up. The only option would be to replace it. The cost is $229 US plus $30 US for a software updater to run the new LCD.
That sucks...why not just send it ready to go...software and all.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought it in April 2011, it has approx. 200 hours since installation,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a three year update,

the summer began with the screen occasionally going full black cloud and nothing could be read, it ended with occasionally the screen loosing all display and just going to soft green back glow, the PP would still engage you just had to listen for the beep and trust you had it set at the correct speed.

usually after turning the ignition full off it would take a few minutes and reset and maybe just have a small black cloud,

In September I finally gave into frustration and decided to just order a new gauge,
I called PP and this time spoke with Mark, he asked about the age of the system and suggested I send the gauge in for LCD repair and at the same time update the PP module software (to make it talk to the satellite better) for "substantially less" than a new gauge.

I also was starting to have the occasional "No GPS signal" between riders for a minute or two,

I mailed the gauge and module and two weeks later it was returned to me,

The R&R was surprising easy, I powered it up in the driveway and it appears to be working correctly. I hope to test it in a few weeks.
The GPS will lock in aprox. 1 minute after cold start or (4 min. down time) and about 15 seconds if you only have the ignition off for 2-3 minutes.

Cost was
50. mail to PP
130. fix and return.

20191110_102930.jpg

mattimus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
It just stopped working? seems like they should have fixed it for free.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know why they would owe a repair after the warranty period expires. It's out of warranty. Contractually they owe nothing. It's nice that there is an alternative to purchasing a whole new unit when it breaks down.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It just stopped working? seems like they should have fixed it for free.
it slowly degraded until it was unreliable.

I don't know or understand electronics, I just see a bad LCD and think that should be a easy/cheap fix.

That being said;
I just would feel more comfortable when making a sizable investment like this to be dealing with a company that has been in the boat speed control business for over 20 years with upwards of 90,000 existing customers rather than buying from a guy putting stuff together in his garage and using a post office box at a gift shop as a business address.
I guess I expected more of a guy in his garage type attitude than big business.

That being said :) I was happy they at least opened their mind to another fix rather than the previous conversation of "you'll have to buy a new one", it not only saved me $100., upgraded the software in my module and was a very fast turnaround.

/// side note //

I did notice when I removed the old gauge the bezel slid off very easily, I could snap it on/off with little pressure.
The new gauge had a thick layer of silicone oozing out from between the bezel/gauge.

Boats cost money, business don't stay in business giving away their product.

If you buy Perfect Pass expect a one year warranty and know stuff breaks.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this info. Looks like I am having similar contrast issues with my 2013 perfect pass gauge. Can you pm me the contact info of the person you worked with?