• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Planning 30 mile offshore trip any tips appreciated

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well the offshore fishing trip was interesting. Saturday we had 2-3 ft waves. Boat handled it well! Caught some kingfish and a jack crevalle. We traveled a total of 110 miles and went through 50 gallons of fuel. Furthest we went out was 36 miles from shore. For some very strange reason we didn't catch a single red snapper. This is very unusual. But the king fish were biting! I hooked into a huge King fish he was jumping out of the water multiple times. Then he spit the hook. When I reeled the line in the hook was bent straight! It was pretty wild. The jack took me 30 mins to land. He was a super strong fish.

We decided to go out again on Sunday. Forecast was for 2 foot waves turned out to be 3 to 4 footers. Max speed going out was 11mph took us 2.5 hours of slow going to get to our planned fishing spot. When we arrived we rigged up our lines and then looked up and saw black clouds across the whole south west horizon coming straight at us. Wind picked up and waves were building. Decided the best thing to do was head back to shore. We were unable to out run the storm and were cruising 20 mph in 4 some times 5 foot waves. Heavy rain and lightning accompanied us all the way back in. Took us about an hour and a half to get back to the jetties. Luckily we were traveling with the waves. Took one wave over the bow that totally soaked everyone and knocked my glasses off my face!

I am extremely impressed with the performance of my sx230. I stored or spare gas cans in the bow going into the waves and that helped cutting through the waves quite a bit. Also loved how the perfect pass assisted in maintaining a safe speed with very little Manuel input to the throttles. I did develop an oil leak but discovered it was the oil filter. Easy fix!

20200620_194417.jpg

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't imagine refueling from cans? in 2+ ft. seas. How exactly is that done? Hat off to you, that's a ballsy trip!