• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please Help with SX192 Engine Problem

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Today, I was cruising at around 30 MPH when the boat suddenly lost most of it's power. I pulled the throttle back to neutral. The engine began making clicking sounds similar to valves badly out of adjustment. I stopped the motor, waited a few minutes and checked the oil. The oil level was OK. When I restarted the engine, the clicking sounds continued. I headed toward the ramp in no-wake mode. The engine was not smoking. After about five minutes, the clicking sound stopped. I gave it some throttle but it didn't have enough power to get on plane. I put it back in no-wake and continued toward the ramp with no unusual noises or smoke. I didn't get any warnings on the instruments.

I stopped within view of the ramp and spent four hours with the engine off. Before re-starting, I checked the oil again. When I re-started, there was no clicking noise. I proceeded toward the ramp in no-wake mode. After about a five minute warm-up, I gave it some throttle and it still didn't have enough power to get on plane. I then put the boat on the trailer.

If anyone is familiar with that exact situation, I would be glad to hear how it was resolved.

If there is no exact reply, I have a few questions about this.

Is it likely that this is related to the timing chain problems that I have read about? Obviously, the chain isn't broken or it wouldn't run, but could a failing chain cause this?

Is there a limp-home mode on these engines? The reason I ask is because the noise stopped but the engine power did not come back.

The dealer is closed on Monday so I can't take the boat in until Tuesday so I would like any information about what to expect.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Probably sucked something up or have a rope around the impeller. Check it out!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Pull the intake boot off of the supercharger. Spin the charger wheel both ways. It should spin freely one way, and lock the other way. If it spins both ways, your supercharger clutch is bad.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Pull the intake boot off of the supercharger. Spin the charger wheel both ways. It should spin freely one way, and lock the other way. If it spins both ways, your supercharger clutch is bad.
Didn't think of that! Check that too. Looking into the pump is a quick and easy thing to eliminate before you even hop into the boat with tools. Forget about those superchargers at times. Probably jealous i don't have two bolted to my motors is all....

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Probably sucked something up or have a rope around the impeller. Check it out!
I should have mentioned that I checked the impeller on the water with the clean-out plug and again out of the water. There is nothing there. I am looking forward to checking the supercharger tonight. Thanks.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I think you were correct. The charger wheel spins freely both ways. I think it started going bad weekend before last. I was on a lake that has more debris than I am used to. Twice, I lost power and then it returned to normal. I thought I had sucked something up and it cleared itself. I think the clutch was failing then and finally let go this last weekend. I will be taking it to the dealer in the morning and will let them know about the supercharger wheel spinning both ways.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this is it - very impressive @SamCF !

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length