• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polish only? Wax only? Both? My brain hurts..

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So i have been reading and watching videos and looking at forums and more videos and more forums and blah blah blah.... I am confused on if I need to polish only... wax only.... both.... I am clear if the boat has heavy oxidation... mine does not.. if u Bend and get the light just right u might can see a few small spots of oxidation but I am pretty much the only one that can see them... I use hot sauce often but when I bought the boat in the spring it was freshly waxed.... so I plan on doing something for the winter. Just not sure what I need to do...

Last edited:
Hit it with a nice coat of Mequires Fleetwax and call it done.

Save the buffing for when the gel starts to get foggy or you start seeing spider webs. Typically, you should be buffing every other year or 2.

Soooo. By buffing u mean the polishing compound? Soni still.use the buffer with the wax or just do it by hand..

Yes buffing equals polishing with wool pads and a rotary.

You can hand apply and remove the wax. There's minimal difference between the two.

For the winter I have a strange process that I always do to my boats and my family has done to their boats for 30+ years. We always put a coat of heavy wax on for the winter and leave it on. When spring rolls around we pull the boat out, wipe the boat down and done! Looks brand new and has had a fresh wax job for the spring and has protected it over the winter.

I like that idea! Great time saver over fall and spring waxing!

@bronze_10 if you have oxidation in your crotch....you might want to see a dr. :p

If the gelcoat is still in good shape, then hit it with Klausse's all-in-one. I use it on my boat and truck. Been very pleased with the results afterwards.

I see @bobbie's up to her usual antics ........... LOL !!!!!!!!!! :winkingthumbsup" :winkingthumbsup" :winkingthumbsup"

@bronze_10 No fair! you cannot edit your post! now no one will see how witty i am :(

For the winter I have a strange process that I always do to my boats and my family has done to their boats for 30+ years. We always put a coat of heavy wax on for the winter and leave it on. When spring rolls around we pull the boat out, wipe the boat down and done! Looks brand new and has had a fresh wax job for the spring and has protected it over the winter.

So you literally leaved it hazed in wax over the winter? Is it not impossible to remove in the spring?

I have just switched from waxing with mequires to polishing with 303 spray on. My uncle keeps his boat at an ocean marina, outside 24/7. All the owners of the large boats swear by the 303 as easier, quicker and just as effective as wax. We will see. So far I am a fan. Cam.

I have just switched from waxing with mequires to polishing with 303 spray on. My uncle keeps his boat at an ocean marina, outside 24/7. All the owners of the large boats swear by the 303 as easier, quicker and just as effective as wax. We will see. So far I am a fan. Cam.
I did that one year and I was pleased with the results.

So you literally leaved it hazed in wax over the winter? Is it not impossible to remove in the spring?
Yep, never had an issue with it coming off in the spring.

I wax with 3M marine wax once a year, and use an auto quick spray wax occasionally thru out summer to keep it shiny/clean.

The cushions get occasionally wiped down with 303/damp rag.

I love the idea, have been buying this stuff by a gallon for my boats, but only used it on upholstery, dashboard, and the top cap, not the hull. You do mean the 303 aerospace protectant, right?

Back