• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polishing wheels

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So in the Snowmobile world, when we have a raw (unpainted) tunnel on a sled, some of us get a bit OCD in the tweener season.

When we have put the boats away, and are waiting for the snow to fall, we tend to find projects, needed or not. This comes down to pulling off the decals, reflectors and seat from the tunnel of our sleds and having at it. We sand, and wet sand down to 1200-1500 grit. Then go to town with Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish by hand or with a Powerball. This polishes that aluminum to a near mirror finish.

Of course this finish only lasts so long, and it needs to be done annually. But the wet sanding is usually not required.

My question is, what are the wheels on the galvanized trailers? I can only imagine they are galvanized steel as well? Is it safe to say they are not aluminum? I would be tempted to pull these off one at a time and start a sanding/wet sanding process and polish to try to get them to shine. If anything it may dress up what I consider the ugliest trailer (yet functional) on the market.

Let me know your thoughts. Or if it is a sin to even want to dress up these trailers with polished wheels.

Thanks!

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After looking into this, my assumption of polishing, or sanding the galvanized coating may only cause them to rust. I was hoping they were just aluminum with a poor finish to match the galvanized trailer.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just plastidipped mine last year

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This comes down to pulling off the decals, reflectors and seat from the tunnel of our sleds and having at it. We sand, and wet sand down to 1200-1500 grit. Then go to town with Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish by hand or with a Powerball. This polishes that aluminum to a near mirror finish.

Of course this finish only lasts so long, and it needs to be done annually. But the wet sanding is usually not required.
I would do this to the intake tunnels/pumps!
What's Powerball? I have used various drill attachments to polish up/port/blueprint the tunnel and pump interior but nothing worked great, so looking for new tools for porting the tunnel.

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did this on my Aluma Utility trailer wheels, and then realized, they were clear coated, and nothing was going to polish them up. GRRR

When polishing sled tunnels, my creeper gets the cupholder mod installed!!

They look nice when done!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, it looks like the full sized Mothers Powerball could be a good option for polishing our pumps.