• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk Amp got splashed now is it fried?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I was washing the boat because that's all I do if wash the boat and add additional parts one of these days I will use it. Long story short I had the radio on the it went a little crazy and the front speakers stopped playing then started playing muffled. lifted the seat the amps are under and noticed a little water splashed on the amps from washing the boat the JL Amp power my sub was find but the polk PAD 4000.4 powering the other 6 speakers was smoking and a burning smell was coming from it and a little water dripping from it. No fuses blew which sucks it has two fuses in the amp it is fused at the power connection at the amp and the batery so really surprised none blew but I wish the would have. I'm going to let the amp dry out but my question is should I even try to repower it up after it dries or with the burning smell and the smoke am I just playing with fire and need to pull it and toss it? Four of the 6 speakers that are tied into the rear channels seemed to be playing fine it was the front 2 that are tied to the front channel that went nuts. NOw in fairness the seats were wet the little water I saw could have come from when I lifted the seat nothing was soaked so something else could have fried the amp.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, but I bet it is fried. Yes, let it dry out and try it (under close observation--smoking is bad). Water on the boards shorts them out, which usually fries the components (literally--which is where your smoke came from). There is a very slight chance that when dry the short will be gone and it will work. But usually when things start smoking, parts are being damaged.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, but I bet it is fried. Yes, let it dry out and try it (under close observation--smoking is bad). Water on the boards shorts them out, which usually fries the components (literally--which is where your smoke came from). There is a very slight chance that when dry the short will be gone and it will work. But usually when things start smoking, parts are being damaged.
There was def the smell of melting plasic or rubber or something I turned it back on the smoke was gone but the fromt speakers still sound like crap so I turned it back off I'm sure it's fried and possibly my front speakers ruined. Oh well guess to find a new amp I'm not sure if it got wet as the water could have coem from the seat when I opened it to check them but there was def smoke.